Sunday, March 31, 2013

Doodle Do

My last finish of the month is a fun little project I intend to share with grandgirl. I think I first saw it on Instagram, and right off I wanted to make it. It's called the Doodle Memory Game, designed by Happy Sew LuckyBoth the “Doodle Memory Game” fabric for the cards, and the “Doodle Owl Rainbow” fabric for the pouch are available on Spoonflower.
The tutorial is found right on the Happy Sew Lucky blog, and if you take a glance, you'll see I deviated just a bit. Considering I'm in the middle of making 30(!) pincushions, I really wasn't in the mood to stitch and turn 112 - 2 1/2" cards. So I added fusible fleece to the back of the card fabric, then used spray baste to adhere that to the backing, basically making a complete "quilt sandwich". 
I then proceeded to stitch 1/4" inside the grid-lines of each card, securing ends before I moved on to the next. It sounds tedious, but it went quickly enough. Once stitched, I cut on all the lines with pinking shears.
One little detail I didn't factor in was that the increase in finished size and thickness of my cards meant I would need a larger bag to store them in than the tutorial suggested! I had made the medium size of Noodlehead's Open Wide Zippered Pouch tutorial, and though I love how it turned out, not all the cards fit in at once. 
Good thing I had already planned on starting grandgirl off with a limited number of card sets, so I chose 20 I thought she would especially enjoy right now, and they fit just fine.
I have some owl fabric left, so maybe I'll make a larger bag to hold them all for when she gets a little older. Meanwhile, I think we'll doodle do just fine.

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday!

17 comments:

  1. very cute. I like the way you did your cards... hmmm I might need to do this for my little niece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Such a clever idea! You will have a lot of fun with these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea and your version is a lot less daunting to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely adorable and it turned out really cute with the pinked edges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, super cute Debbie. I really like it with the pinked edges. Adds to the charm factor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I love the pinked edges too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie! What a clever idea! I love this memory game packet and you made it really beautiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're brilliant! Couldn't love your version more. Welcome to April!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have any grandchildren (yet!), but I have plenty of kids that would love this game. I am definitely tempted to make a set, especially with your shortcut method.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great solution, I think the turning would have done for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute! Genius for someone to design the fabric for spoonflower. I made a similar memory game for my first grand-niece with novelty prints and a drawstring bag. I stitched the cards the same way you did. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great idea! I will have to buy some of the fabric. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I'm really glad you made your squares the way you did. I would have seen the original and stressed about all that turning and not made it at all. Thanks to you for showing an easier way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out to be such a cute gift! I'm sure my 3 year old would enjoy it as well, thanks for posting the link to the tutorial! Hope your granddaughter likes it!

    ReplyDelete