Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

You could call today's post "Random Table Talk". First off, I found this article by Seattle food-writer Braiden Rex-Johnson very interesting - Northwest Wining and Dining 2013 Top Culinary Trends. Of course, these trends are in the northwest - I'm curious what trends you are finding in the area where you live.

Also random is this short list of links to a few foodie blogs I really enjoy. Any others you particularly like?

  • Orangette - I love how Molly writes and her food is a little out of the box for me. Her first book, A Homemade Life, is a memoir more than a cookbook, and is a favorite. 
  • Smitten Kitchen - Deb's cookbook is new and beautiful and plum full of recipes I want to try.
  • Bakerella - I follow Bakerella just for the sheer cuteness. And oh, I do love her cake balls.
  • Tasty Kitchen - This site is hosted by The Pioneer Woman, and is chock full of awesome recipes. It's a good resource for down-home favorites and more.

So what cookbook or magazine is on your kitchen counter ready for the week? For me, it's the March issue of Cooking Light. I've marked {and shopped for} the Turkey Sausage and Spinach Lasagne

and the Poached Egg and Arugula Salad Bruschetta. yum.

And for a nod to St. Patrick's Day later this week, I'll be making these:

Reuben Sandwiches
Makes 4 Sandwiches

Pasqual's Russian Dressing:
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. ketchup
1 T minced chives
2 lg pitted green olives -- minced
1/2 fresh poblano chile -- stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped, to equal 2 Tb. 
1 hard-boiled egg -- peeled and grated on a cheese grater

Sandwich:
2 c. sauerkraut
2/3 c. white wine
4 t. softened butter
8 slices rye bread
1 lb. thinly sliced cooked corned beef 
2 c. grated Gruyere cheese

To Make the Dressing -- combine all the ingredients in a bowl and cover. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.

To Make the Sandwich -- preheat the broiler. Place the sauerkraut and wine into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Drain the sauerkraut and keep warm.

Butter each side of the bread slices with 1/2 t. of butter and place them on a foil-covered baking sheet. Toast each side under the broiler until nicely toasted.

Spread one side of each slice of toast with 2 T of the dressing. Set 4 of the toasted and slathered slices aside. Place 1/4 lb of the corned beef on each of the remaining 4 toast slices and top each with 1/2 c. of sauerkraut and 1/2 c. of cheese. Return them to the broiler until the cheese is bubbling and browned. Place the reserved toast slices on top of the cheese (dressing side down). Slice in half on the diagonal and serve immediately with plenty of napkins. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Great list of foodie blogs! I enjoy all of those, too. Honestly, I probably follow nearly as many food blogs as I do sewing ones. The lasagna sounds fabulous! I always find it interesting to see which magazine recipes jump out at others. I was late subscribing to CL, so I haven't gotten my first issue yet but when it comes, we'll have to compare our "must-makes"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love food blogs and the subject of food in general. On a side note--I made donuts for the kids this morning and I thought of you. :) They were DELICIOUS! Pumpkin donuts with maple glaze and chocolate frosting with nuts. All because you inspired me to buy donut pans...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got Deb's book after it was finally released over here, but I haven't had a chance to go through it yet.

    Not sure what the St Patrick's day connection is, but enjoy your sarnies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Reuben Sandwiches are one of my favorites, but I will confess I have never made the sauce myself. We always grew up using Thousand Island dressing. I bet it makes a world of difference! HA

    ReplyDelete