Thursday, March 28, 2013

HST Love

So when I left off with the FAITH Circle quilt process the other day, I was quilting. Now that's done, and she's all bound up ready to go! Here's the rest of the story . . .

For me, anyway, there is usually some inspiration when I start a project - another quilt, a picture or piece of artwork, something I've seen out in the real world. For this quilt, it was definitely other solid hst quilts that I had seen in blog-land.  I chose the three below to show my bee members the direction we were headed. {These quilts were made by fordhook1, CB Handmade, and Sew Katie Did - click a pic to see more info about each on flickr.}
HST Festival a quilt for harry. hst love done
The colors I had in mind were white, medium gray, and a variety of cool colors. I asked them each to make two 18 1/2" blocks, each made up of four 9 1/2" blocks and I posted photos of how these blocks could be placed in a variety of configurations. And it was fun to see how my bee-mates followed my lead!
When the blocks all came back to me, it was a bit of a puzzle deciding how to arrange them. I didn't over-think the process really, but I did choose to group the palest blocks with the purples on the backing to give the quilt more of a two-sided feel. Filling in around the backing blocks I used Leaves on Teal from Fruit Slice by Khristian Howell for Anthology fabrics. It really coordinated well overall with the mix of blocks. And in keeping it real, I really thought I had lined the front and back up perfectly, but as you can see, whether in quilting or whatever, there was a tiny shift. sigh
For quilting, I knew I wanted to straight-line,and started by following a zig-zag made by the lines of the blocks. You can see by the arrows in the photo below where I took my first pass. From there, I echo-quilted at 3/4" intervals. Where I had used light gray Aurifil 50wt for piecing, I switched to the same thread but in white for the quilting.

Then it was time to bind! After considering just about every color in the quilt, I opted for a scrappy look, which included KONA Turquoise, Chartreuse, and Emerald, along with Medium Gray and Coal. The finished quilt measures 54"x72".
So after a year and a half of sewing for FAITH Circle, I survived my first turn organizing and quilting our project, and I couldn't be more pleased.

40 comments:

  1. The photo of you and this amazing quilt is gorgeous! The scrappy binding is perfect too! Congratulations on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! it looks beautiful!! great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, Debbie! It's so nice to see you in the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning finish! I really like the collurs and the quilting is perfect. Very nice picture of you too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt, and quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really beautiful Debbie - you and your circle did a bang up job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this quilt and might make one similar soon. I especially love how you quilted it. And I agree the photos are great, including the one from yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job with the back. The whole quilt is gorgeous! Where do the quilts go from your group? My group, the ' Heal' group sends them to Hospice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great explanation of the process and finished wonder. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is so awesome Debbie! Love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks awesome, Deb! Love seeing the quilter in the picture too. :)
    The quilting is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, Debbie. This is one amazing quilt, you did such a great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous. I absolutely love the colours. Somebody is going to feel very loved snuggled under that quilt. Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been loving all the solid HST quilts too, but my hatred of actually making HSTs has rather put me off ;o) Love how you did the quilting anyway

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those block sizes are huge...so nice to see. Your straight line quilting was clever. What a striking quilt to donate. Well done to you and your Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. me encanta,sencilla pero,preciosa gracias desde Barcelona españa

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks amazing - not that I ever had an doubt! ;) you were a great leader and the quilt is fabulous, beginning to end. Simple yet very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt - I really love the diagonal quilting you have done too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the colors and quilting! A great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you did with it! What fabolous colours... Somebody will be very lucky to receive this!!!
    ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this so much! The design, the colors, the quilting and that cute pic of you holding it at the end! Great job Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this so much! The design, the colors, the quilting and that cute pic of you holding it at the end! Great job Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This quilt turned out beautifully Debbie! I loved reading your post about it :o)Hooray for a wonderful quilt for Restore Innocence!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome design! Love the pic with you above the quilt - you need to do this for each and every quilt you make!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice colors, and the scrappy binding is perfect. Thanks for one more push for me to try to design with solids.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness Debbie, this is beautiful! I am so behind on my reading that I haven't gotten here yet, but I saw the link on Fabric Tuesday and had to jump over. You did such a great job on this! I definitely need to try one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the big blocks and color scheme, beautifully tied by the simple quilting.
    An inspiration for modern quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love that simple straight line zigzag quilting. I might have to try that, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the colors, the simplicity of the design, and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. debbie! this is so good, your circle did a great job of making blocks! and the quilting looks amazing, love how you changed it up. beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fun! So modern! Great quilting. I too get inspired from blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how strong and graphic it is!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The first one I clicked on in Molly Flanders linky party. I love it! Just goes to show we don't have to cut in tiny pieces to make a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really love your HST quilt Debbie, especially the photo of you holding it!

    ReplyDelete