Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

One of my birthday gifts last month was a gift certificate to a cooking class with daughter dear. Our class was last weekend - "Delicious Macrons" taught by Michell Mrkota, a former pastry chef from Buchon Bakery. (ooh aah!)
photo courtesy of Sur La Table

The menu for the morning was impressive: Chocolate Macarons with Crème Brulee Cream - Pumpkin Macarons with Maple Butter Cream - Red Velvet Macarons with Cream Cheese Buttercream. Yes please and thank you.
I had heard horror stories about making macarons at home, but once I had actually tasted them a while back {a top ten foodie moment!}, making them myself was definitely on my baking bucket list. 

The basic recipes were fairly straight-forward, then it was time to pipe the macarons out onto their parchment-covered sheet pans.! Thank goodness for templates!
A critical step in the process is drying time - about 30 minutes, depending on the humidity.
Here are a bunch all baked off, waiting for their individual fillings.
Ta da! Time for tasting!
And after taking the class, they seem totally doable. I'll keep you posted on that! {wink}

21 comments:

  1. Wow! They look perfect... and absolutely delicious! I love macaroons, but for a little biscuit they are so expensive. And I've been told too many times how hard they are to make. Good to hear you found them do-able. I may attempt them!!
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well done, your macarons look pretty perfect. Lovely birthday gift idea! ....my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tasted one but my word these guys look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm - the macaroons look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had one. I think there is a bakery in town that makes them. I'll need to pick some up for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A local class?! How did I not know about that - I've been wanting to learn for years but I'm not a self starter so this is what I need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look both delicious and beautiful. I love those type of classes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun class to take. I love Macarons! My favorite was a passion-fruit one in a French Bakery in Salt Lake and it was heavenly.

    I have wanted to make these but was a little scared. They look easier than I thought. Maybe I will make some for Easter treats!
    Although, I just made a killer chocolate cake that will probably last a few more days. Darn calories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, they look amazing! There's a place here that offers classes, but when I was offered a voucher for one I couldn't make any of the dates - boooo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!!! Lovely macarons and great gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so delicious - I will have to try and make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Macarons are my favourite sweet thing to eat! I dream of being able to make them! I will watch and wait for your success- I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, macarons!! Yours look wonderful and the flavours sound so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are the cutest cookies/dessert I know. So are they really easy or just easy for a former pastry chef??

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm trying to think if I've ever tried macaroons. I've been loving the photos of them that I see everywhere. I'd love to try making these someday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad to hear these seem like they'll be doable to make at home. I'm gluten-free and macarons are one of those treats that I love to get at the local French bakery, but only every so often since they're a little pricey. I'll stay tuned for your further thoughts on this Debbie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, they look amazing Debbie! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow--what a great class. I totally want to make some of these, so any tips you can pass down our way would be terrific. I love them, but because they are so pricey, I rarely buy them. They look delicious!

    E.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum, yum. Do you make special deliveries to Nevada?
    You are such a talented quilter and you cook and bake also. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, yum. Do you make special deliveries to Nevada?
    You are such a talented quilter and you cook and bake also. Wow!

    ReplyDelete