Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Afterthought

When I saw the Modern Mini Quilt Challenge announced, I looked back, and was surprised I had no mini quilts that would work for submission. So while the scraps from my Pantone Quilt Challenge project were still on the cutting table, I decided to see if I could whip something up real quick. Talk about some fun sewing!

For the quilt front, I created a block design mixing both striped segments and solids. I laid out pieces and rearranged them until I was happy with the layout, and then it was a quick sew to make it into a top, about 18.5" square.

I happily realized I might have enough to piece a quilt back, and that was equally enjoyable.

A quilted grid felt the right choice again, and this time I used just one thread - Aurifil 50wt thread in 1103 [burgundy]. It's such a rich color and quite possibly my current favorite.

There were just enough Pure Solids Dragonfruit and Kona Rich Red scraps to do a quasi matched binding.

Gotta say, it felt mighty good to pull a mini quilt (18" square finished) including the quiltback and binding from the scraps of my Pantone project.What a reward to have just two short strips left to add to the scrap basket. Plus that quick, spontaneous kind of creating is like a breath of fresh air. 

Submitting to the Modern Mini Quilt Challenge in The Great Wisconsin Quilt Show.

Linking up with the Pantone Quilt Challenge Linkup, Mini/Wall category.

AFTERTHOUGHT
by Debbie Jeske, 2023
18" x 18"USA

6 comments:

  1. A cute afterthought, and how satisfying to use up those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to immediately put almost all of the scraps to use and have something that works to submit to the Modern Mini Quilt Challenge. It feels like anything but an Afterthought, but I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting! 'Son of Pantone Quilt Challenge' enters the The Modern Mini Quilt Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always good to use scraps. Your quilt is really pretty. The grid quilting is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Danice! I'm glad you liked this piece.

      Delete
  5. What a fun little mini! And so great that you got to use up the scraps immediately and then in this energizing fashion. xo

    ReplyDelete