Friday, April 27, 2012

52 lists in 52 weeks//week 47 and Other Stuff

List 47: Things I've learned from my job:
  • knowing others believe in you is a huge motivator
  • working as a team is as frustrating as it is satisfying
  • everyone deserves respect
  • kindness is key
  • all means all
  • with the right encouragement, you're usually capable of more than you think
Guess I don't really feel like elaborating on work much, but it's been a good place to stretch myself, and I've grown alot there.

Meanwhile on to a fun, unexpected swap . . . Amy of Amy Made That! commented on my stamped fabric on my zakka pincushion post the other day, and before we knew it, we'd agreed on a swap ~ my leftover stamped linen strips for a couple of her fabric key fobs. How fun is that? We both received our goods today and agree it was a good trade! Thanks, Amy!

When I ordered the charcoal and tangerine for my 4x5 block quilt this week, I also stocked up on thread, and splurged on a "Bits & Pieces Scrap Bag PRINTS". It was quite a value for over 3 yards of "the good stuff", and though it appears they sold out quickly, I thought I'd show you anyway, as I think Pink Chalk Fabrics makes these up fairly regularly. I don't know what alot of them are, but they're still a pretty fun mix.

Last, I'm pretty excited to be dropping in on a book signing and trunk show tomorrow. The guest of honor will be Katie Pederson of Sew Katie Did, co-author of Quilting Modern along with Jacquie of Tall Grass Prairie Studio. Katie will also be demonstrating the ‘stitch and flip triangle’ technique featured in the book. Fun stuff.

The real reason I'm anxious to get my hands on the book is because it was from Jacquie that I was first exposed to "modern" quilting. And it was in a class with Katie where my limited world of hst was expanded. So they are both definitely part of my quilting journey, and I'm excited to share in their joint venture.

14 comments:

  1. The book signing and trunk show should be fun! We want to hear all about it, that's for sure!! And your scrap bag is full of fabric delights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your day at the book show - sounds like it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric scraps and have fun at the signing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for happy mail, and I'm so jealous you get to go to that book signing, I love reading Katie's blog, she makes such fab, colourful quilts

    ReplyDelete
  5. You `had a class with Katie`???? How cool is that? I love her blog and her quilts are amazing! Love those key fobs, and what you have learnt from work - happy to hear it`s all working out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun swap! Have fun at the signing/show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun at the book signing, I love the book. And those are lovely key fobs you traded for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited to hear about your awesome day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun post! Thanks for the heads up about Pink Chalk's scrap bags. Have a wonderful time at the book signing....sounds super!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am really jealous that you get to go to have your book signed today! you are one lucky duck! i have followed jacquie and katie for a loong time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such great key fobs and fabric! Have fun at the book signing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice swap! I like those key fobs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting about our swap! I've been having fun already...dreaming up thoughts for my stamped linen. Can't wait to have some sewing time now! Have a great day at your book signing!

    ReplyDelete