Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday at the Table

I am easily enamored by kitchen gadgets, as you saw a couple of weeks ago, and it's also true with unique food items.

Well, last weekend I tried some Swedish Pearl Sugar, produced by Lars own in Sweden. Hubby saw it at the store last time we were shopping, so we brought some home.
Since we had blueberries on hand, it sounded good to try the pearl sugar on some blueberry muffins.
The granules were kind of the texture of colored sprinkles, so I just treated them as such. They stayed right on top as the muffins baked, and when eaten, gave a subtle little crunch. I'll definitely be using the pearl sugar  more in my baking. Has anyone tried this product, or have their own "unusual" foodie item you enjoy using?Enlighten us!

Blueberry Muffins

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh

Stir together dry ingredients and add blueberries.

Combine egg, milk, and melted butter and stir into flour mixture and blueberries, stirring just to moisten. Do not Beat. Bake at 375-degrees for 20 minutes until lightly golden.

7 comments:

  1. Yummy! You get those sugar pearls on muffins and things in the supermarkets here, I've not ever noticed it for sale though, hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it be a huge surprise to learn that I am as equally enamored of kitchen gadgets and unique food items as you are? :) I've never heard of Swedish Pearl Sugar but will now keep my eyes opened for it to try. Last week I purchased Farro in an Italian Shop and hope to try it soon in a soup recipe I've just discovered. As for a unique food item that I use on a regular basis: Indian Chutney - sweet or savory, I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sugar made those muffins so pretty!

    The only foodie items we tend to buy are weird pickled things different vegetables and such. I swear we have 10 different jars open in the fridge right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crunchy sweet toppings on muffins and these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a couple of flavored olive oils hanging out in our cupboard. The problem is I can never decide what's "good enough" to use them for, so they still sit there.

    ReplyDelete