Friday, August 24, 2012

Zakka Along Week 21 :: Sweet Memories Photo Frame

This week's Zakka project was by Ayumi of Pink Penguin (an awesome blog full of fun ideas by the way!). A sweet patchwork picture frame, it had a little sewing of fabric, but more cutting, securing with needle and thread, and gluing. In fact, I have sticky fingers as I type this post. Got a little carried away, I guess.

I decided to customize my frame, and made a little 'X' and 'O' on one side. Yup, totally remade those twice before I got them small enough to fit on the frame edge. Luckily, I had read The Patchsmith's post so I cut the top and bottom strips 2" instead of 1 1/2". There's no way I would have been able to secure them to the batt and chipboard - an interesting (and frustrating) process even with the extra width.
Ladder-stitching the sides, top, and bottom of the frame was also a tad finicky. And then when it came time for the gluing, I found my glue stick all dried up. Hence the over-use of spray adhesive and the sticky fingers.
But as usual, it all turned out ok in the end. Noodlehead (another inspiring blog!) shared her version, which is so darling. I kind of wanted to personalize mine too, but didn't round up the alphabet stamps to make it happen. Still, I'm rather fond of it, especially once grandgirl's picture was slipped in.
And in case you recognize the fabrics from another of my projects, you are quite right. I purposely made my frame to coordinate with the wonky cross quilt that hangs in my office . . .
Modern Cross Quilt

Linking up with LRstitched and Fabric Tuesday.

19 comments:

  1. I love your version Debbie! Even your photo looks colour co-ordinated! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's some tiny stitching! It looks great, despite the frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The frame looks great, and especially fun that it coordinates with your office quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's darling Debbie. I really need to dig out that book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made such a cute frame, it will look lovely in your office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really cute Debbie. Of course cuter still with that little girl in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. Great way to coordinate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute! You're a zakka all-star!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is utterly beautiful! The x's and o's are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So stunning - I had noticed the patched blocks on Flickr - and now I see you have it co-ordinating with your wall quilt. Really, really nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute frame! Loving the colours =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out cute, well done for battling through :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so unbelievably charming, Debbie. I just love the addition of that x and o -- sweet, sweet, sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's just too adorable! and I so love how the frame coordinates your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this frame! It is too cute.
    Great idea to coordinate with the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just looking at Elizabeth Hartman's blog yesterday and saw this that might interest you: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2011/01/echino-improv-quilt-block-1.html I'm also eager to sew with linen. Have you checked Flickr? It'd be fun to do a linen QAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh it looks great and I bet it looks so lovely in your office!

    ReplyDelete