Thursday, October 29, 2015

Improv Xs

Well it's my turn to plan FAITH Circle's November quilt, and we're going with improv. Simple X-blocks, all pieced together into a 12.5"x 24.5" strip. I'm asking for 2 or more blocks per strip, with smaller blocks in finished widths of 4", 6", 8" or 12".


For colors, we'll be using any shade of blue for backgrounds; any blue, turquoise, teal, or bright green for the crosses. An occasional gold or orange would be ok in the cross strips too. I learned way back in my first month as a quilter for FAITH Circle that a bit of warm with the cool can't hurt.


I've also encouraged any contrasting bits in the Xs. I mostly used block trimmings from one block to make the 'arms' of another, piecing strips together randomly to get the lengths I needed. Note that depending on the size of the beginning fabric and the ending block, the Xs sometimes hit the corners of the block, sometimes not. I like that! Hopefully the group enjoys making these as much as I did.

9 comments:

  1. Looks great - so curious about the finished quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really great Debbie! You really have a feel for this improv style! And I love the colour palette- the blue is so calming and those little bits of yellow are like sparks of light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about x-strip width? Keep them skinny like yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - see the flickr discussion for more specifics, but I'm asking for all strips to be cut 1" to finish at 1/2".

      Delete
  4. I love it! Love the elongated ones -- great idea to not make them all squares! And the contrasting bits are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are really cool. fun idea, can't wait to watch it come together

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just love seeing others improv work. I stuggle with improv projects myself, so I just prefer to google other people's projects from afar. Lovely blues!

    Greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cool! I love that you used trimmings for the x's.

    ReplyDelete