Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Untitled in Green

A friend at work recently asked if I'd make a wall-hanging for a charity auction he was supporting. I gladly said yes, loving the freedom of his instruction to make whatever I wanted. I chose improv.

It had been a while since I had stepped up to the cutting table with no real plan. I guess since I was still in a mod mood, I'd chosen a fat-quarter of Bloom Modern II by Jason Yenter along with a length of a natural Kokka cotton-linen blend. Krista/Poppyprint's improv under the influence technique came to mind, so I went ahead and cut a fat-quarter of the blend, placed it right sides together with the cotton, and started marking, sewing, and cutting, creating a squarish focal piece surrounded by negative space.


Quilting a squared-off zig-zag with Aurifil 50wt #2310 (light beige) gave the quilt considerable texture.


I  had an extra strip of piecing, so I cut it to work into the binding, above and below the main point of interest. Annnnd, I'd run out of the natural-colored linen by now, so I turned to a slightly darker shade of chambray to fill in as needed.


Though very simple in design, I thought there were enough little features to give this piece some interest. Finishing at 24" x 36", I hope it finds a home with someone who thinks so too.

9 comments:

  1. Great piece. I think it should do well at an auction. Like the addition of color in the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and I love the unique color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful addition to their auction! I'm sure they will raise great money with it and someone will love it to pieces. I know I would

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous design Debbie - and I love the serpentine quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Love the fresh lemon green :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great design! Love the color placement in the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's VERY interesting in my opinion. Simplicity can be so powerful some times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would definitely find a place on one of my walls. Striking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is totally cute! I know it will find a great new home!

    ReplyDelete