Friday, September 16, 2016

Exchanging Whispers


When I had received all my swap blocks from my Bee Sewcial mates, it took me a bit to decide what to do with them - each 5-6", low-volume with a pop of color.


What I finally decided on was a loose smattering of blocks surrounded with randomly-placed low-volume scraps. I set out to make something that sounded fun to puzzle together, and something I personally would enjoy cuddling up with, as this one - a gift of sorts from the entire bee - was definitely one to keep for myself.

As I pieced, I inserted just a few striped strips for a bit of added interest. Otherwise, I pieced sections to fit as I went.




For quilting, I braved it and free-motion quilted, using a half-dozen basic patterns, choosing as I went what would go in my self-defined sections.


As with my recent Colorless quilt, I found this very low-volume quilt with its dense quilting difficult to photograph. Even when the light seemed right, everything seemed to blur together. Interesting phenomenon.


Finishing at 46" x 48", this one was fun to make and a notable memento of a really special group of women.

This project was on my Q3 Finish-A-Long list! Linking up with Finish It Up FridayScraptastic Tuesday, and 2016 FAL Q3 Finishes Link-Up.

17 comments:

  1. Yes! Debbie, it's beautiful! I adore our amazing group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pops of color and different quilting motifs make this a delightful finish to study. What an amazing momento to get to keep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun project! A lot to look at plus great texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thus turned out beautifully! Love the texture, it really makes the colour blocks stand out. Yay for a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! I enjoyed reading about your process and I really like those random pops of colour. The quilting looks incredible and so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful too. I love the little pops of color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again Debbie...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely stunning Debbie! You really did those blocks justice with the piecing and the quilting. What a great piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it Debbie! You have found a wonderful way to combine the inspiration from friends. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictueday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is wonderful and the quilting a perfect compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the FMQ! Another beautiful finish. I adore low volume and especially the pops of color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like this was a fun quilt to make, maybe even meditative. Great quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun quilt, I love the little 'pops' of colour! Your quilting looks fantastic in the final pic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a beautiful project ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! I find it very calming.

    ReplyDelete