Friday, October 5, 2018

ash+fog

It's happened before and I expect it'll happen again. But every once in a while, no matter what I'm working on, I need to set it all aside and just start something new.... specifically something with very little forethought. So in that spot a couple of weeks ago, the notion came to make another Everyday Improv-inspired quilt, and why not work with just two colors, per the QuiltCon 2019 Two-Color Quilt Challenge? I don't keep many lengths of solids on hand (or anything really), so upon glancing through my solid stash, I at least found a couple of yards of Kona Ash, and a yard of Fog. They seemed an unexpected pairing, but it's what I had, and though subtle, I opted to go with it.


As is my norm with these kinds of projects, I just started in cutting and sewing sections and placing them up on the design wall.... stripes, and dots, and spikes. I tried to include good-sized sections of solid. I find so often that I tend to squish components together, maybe even over-filling the space, and I wanted to avoid that.


Not sure if I really accomplished that, especially when I started to add in the quilting. Sticking with the two-color theme, I chose Aurifil 40wt #2600 (light gray), which matched the Ash pretty well. I have rarely used a 40wt, but I really liked how it quilted this piece.


The quilting ended up being an improvisational patchwork as much as the piecing did. It's just how this one came together, and apparently just what I needed. Matched binding was a perfect fit for this small quilt, which finished at 30" x 42".



And then.... I decided to throw it in the wash and crinkle it up. And boy did it crinkle.


Disappointingly, I tried three times to get decent photos of this one in its various stages and it just didn't seem to want to happen. Too sunny, too shadowy, or just plain ho hum, nothing is quite what I'd hoped for. Part of it may be that very quiet palette, which at least was interesting to work with.


Meanwhile, I got the diversion I needed, have another class sample, and feel pretty ready to get back to the wips. Pretty ready, not totally ready. We'll see how that goes.

11 comments:

  1. I'm inspired by this quilt! I'm working on some improv blocks at the moment and they are a nice change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thar subtle and unusual colour combination works beautifully. The well balanced design is enhanced by the well the well thought out quilting. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilting motifs and variety in density provide such interest to the piecing elements. What a successful use of fabrics with similar values. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the subtle color of this quilt. Which surprises me! But it works with this design and the quilting is wonderful too. Love the texture after washing! This diversion was well worth the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diversion quilting, going with two colors from your stash, creating without a plan, I've enjoyed watching your progress. The end result is very cool. Those two colors work, even through they are such quiet colors. A satisfying finish, yes? Thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of our foggy winter days here. I think the subtle palette draws me in and asks me to look closer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness, your quilt is stunning. I think quilts with bright colors or high contrasts may be the most photogenic, however, this quilt must be wonderful to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so nice! I'm currently (very slowly) working on a 2 color quilt and I love the focus on pattern and composition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a lovely palette Debbie! I'm also working on the challenge but don't know if my project is worth a finish. We'll see ... Funny that I chose the colours as you did !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quiet and calm color palette of this quilt. What a great design for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete