Tuesday, August 15, 2023

One More Time

After finishing up my recent Both Sides Now, I had scraps! And rather than toss them in the scrap basket, I started to piece them together, made a small quilt top (first photo), then a few days later, cut it up and pieced it back together again (second photo). Then it waited for me for a couple of weeks while I worked on other things.

So I finally got back to it over the weekend. Luckily I hadn't put away the stack of fabric I'd pulled from to support those scraps - a Marcia Derse print, Spotted Graffiti in Thimbleberry, along with Konas Lipstick, Poppy, Eggplant, Sangria, Tomato, Wine, and Rich Red. Kind of an odd combination, but even so, I really love it.

Along with the quilt front, I'd pieced a back. 

And for quilting, I pulled several Aurifil threads in several weights - 50wt 1103 [Burgundy] and 2250 [Red], 40wt 2570 [Aubergine], and 28wt 2260 [Wine] and 2265 [Lobster Red]. 

I did vertical straight-line quilting with the red threads to start, ranging from 1/16" to 5/16". And then I went back and did some fancy straight-line using the purple. In retrospect, that purple thread stands out an awful lot, but I do enjoy the added angles it adds to the piece.

The piece is bound in Kona Wine and measures 16" x 22.5". I had a little trouble getting good clear photos of it, but the one below is the truest of them all.


This piece was totally for fun, and wouldn't you know, I still have scraps left! Hmmm. What to make?


4 comments:

  1. Another fabulous improv adventure here! Those are some of my fav colors too and your piecing skills did justice.
    The Marcia Derse print 'Spotted Graffiti ' is, I think, one of her best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think the darker and thicker 28wt thread is a lot of fun. I look forward to seeing what else the scraps evolve into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes just cutting the piece up and sewing it back together is just the thing. It's a bit nervewracking, but it works, right? At least it did for you with this one! I like the use of the different thread colors and weights, too - I need to remember to play with different thread weights! Scraps beget scraps . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is a gorgeous piece of art, Debbie! Those colours are magic together and the texture your quilting adds is enticing. I love the magic that comes from piecing scraps together! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete