Monday, August 14, 2023

Seattle MQG One-Hour Basket Swap

With the deadline quickly approaching, I knew it was time to buckle down and make a One-Hour Basket for my Seattle MQG swap partner, Rosie @rosiepelfrey. The pattern is from Kelly @kelbyews, and results in a fabric basket 10" x 6" x 7". In applying to participate in the swap, Rosie had given her favorite fabric designer as 'Kaffe or Anna Maria Horner,' three words describing her décor style as 'casual, cozy, eclectic;' and colors she was a fan of as 'oranges, greens, blues, violet/purples, pinks, neutrals.' All that helped me focus in on what to make for her. 

Not having much of her key designers' fabrics stashed, I ordered an Anna Maria Horner Brave 5" Charm Pack along with a half yard of Pruned, one of the fabrics in Anna Maria's Brave line. I was pretty sure that charm pack would contain at least some of each of the colors Rosie had specified.


It was the word 'eclectic' that I zoomed in on as I came up with a design for the basket. I cut a selection of charms into 2.5" squares, and used others to make HSTs, QSTs, etc. I placed them in a somewhat random layout for each side, scattering the pieced blocks throughout.



Below is a view of the basket interior with that Brave lining. I took Kelly's suggestion and used byAnnie's Soft and Stable for the backet's 'interfacing.' It gave the basket a soft but sturdy structure that I liked.

 
Rather than make fabric handles per the pattern, I used 1" cotton webbing. They also were sturdy, and stood up nicely. Plus I just like the look.


So that was fun. I really enjoyed working with those colorful floral fabrics that Anna Maria is known for. I sent the basket right off to Rosie, and she said it was lovely. So yay. Hoping she finds a fun way to put the basket to good use.

8 comments:

  1. You never can go wrong with Anna Marie Horner fabrics! Your basket turned out fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute basket! I'm sure she will enjoy it. Soft & Stable is fun to work with, and I like the stability it gives. It also holds up well over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun placement of the pieced elements. I'm sure she will find a good use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I too would have had a problem coming up with Anna Maria Horner prints, though I think a couple random fat quarters are in my stash. You worked out a great solution, and I like that you randomly pieced some of the patches. It IS nice with those webbing handles. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a vibrant little basket! I love those extra pieced blocks scattered within. I only saw them when you mentioned them and love that they are like a small secret to find. xo

    ReplyDelete