Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Coffee

When my beemate Felicity @felicityquilts announced the Bee Sewcial prompt for this month, I had to smile. Coffee.... the first thing I reach for every morning. Felicity specified: "Rich browns in all shades, including very dark all the way to cream. Think roasted beans, a freshly pulled espresso shot, an iced coffee with swirls of cream, latte art." She also shared a small pin board for inspiration, and asked for at least two blocks that add up to the equivalent of our standard two blocks at 12" finished.


Right off, I knew I wanted to try my hand at improv coffee beans, using a mix of brown solids combined with Essex cotton-linen blends in Espresso and Nutmeg, as Felicity OK'd our use of additional substrates this month. After rearranging my "beans" for a while, I settled on the layout about, with a block measuring 14.5" x 17.5".

Since my first block was on the large side, I aimed for a smaller block for my second. What started as a bunch of improv espresso shots may or may not have become a row of coffee drinks on the counter at the local coffee shop. Depends on your viewpoint, I guess. But it's Felicity-approved, and measures 7.5" x 11".


After working for months on my own Bee Sewcial quilt finish in Albersesque, it was a fun breather to be able to work on these smaller improv projects and in browns even! Plus I'm looking forward to seeing what my beemates come up with for the coffee theme.

5 comments:

  1. What a fun theme and I love all the browns and textures of the various fabrics together. This will be a fun one to see what others create, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun theme, and as soon as I saw the beans, I thought how fun they would be to make. That line up of coffees makes me grin, too. You have come up with some creative blocks, as usual (and you always seem to have the perfect fabrics in your stash)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a chance to use those beloved browns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun theme! And I love your blocks - as well as everyone else I have seen so far. And the extra texture will be so cool too. Glad you had fun with the prompt and smaller project. xo

    ReplyDelete