Thursday, October 26, 2023

Split Second

All along, I'd planned on participating in the QuiltCon Windham Artisan Cotton 2024 Fabric Challenge, but let's just say I got a very late start. Jacquie Gering @jacquietps, the featured lecturer for QuiltCon 2024, chose the Windham Challenge palette this year, and I was plenty happy with it - enough that I had ordered all six fabrics back in June in varying amounts.


But I just seemed to busy myself with other projects. Finally, a couple of weeks ago, I pieced a simple top reminiscent of A Neon Moment, which I made earlier this year. Not quite using all the fabric I purchased for the quilt top, I was able to piece a three-color backing from what was left.


For quilting, I originally thought I'd use threads of all the colors in the fabric palette. But I didn't have the full range, time was running short, and I settled on Aurifil 50wt 2515 [Light Orchid] for intermittent organic vertical straight-line quilting. Then I added some zig-zag quilting over the top in 2612 [Arctic Sky].



Finished off with matched binding, "Split Second" measures 36" x 48". Just in the nick of time.


8 comments:

  1. The colors are attractive and interesting design. Quick finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great design, and I like the zigs in the quilting! Sometimes those last minute finishes are very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a really lovely use of the palette and I love the nod toward Jacquie's quilting as well. I think I have one more day of quilting left on my one planned submission for this year, so hopefully I can get it bound this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very effective! I love that you chose to work with big pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the design and how you used the color. It's a great palette. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cool quilt! Good luck with your submission. xo

    ReplyDelete