Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tuesday at the Table

Our yard doesn't get the sun to support a real vegetable garden, so we've settled for a nice patch of herbs. Actually, I owe it all to hubby, who keeps the basics growing - chives (regular and garlic), thyme, rosemary, oregano, sage, mint (peppermint and spearmint), lemon balm, parsley, tarragon, and cilantro. (Have to wait for summer heat to really hit for our favorite basil.)
One of the quickest and easiest things I make from our garden is herb butter. I'll show you how simple it is.

Here's the ingredients you need to get started:
1# unsalted butter (room temp)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/2 lemon (juiced)
pinch kosher salt
about 5 Tb. chopped herbs (I like parsley, chives, thyme, and a bit of oregano)
Basically put all the ingredients in a small bowl . . .
and combine the ingredients with a fork.
Plop the herb butter on a square of plastic wrap, making a rough shape of a log.
Roll the butter into the plastic wrap, twisting the ends to tighten the roll, making the log compact and smooth. Then toss the roll into the fridge to firm up, or into the freezer to use later.
Our favorite way to enjoy it is spread on some good rustic bread, but put a slice on a grilled steak for a real treat. I also enjoy scrambling eggs in it and putting it atop steamed vegetables.

And . . . a reminder about Tuesday at the {summer} Table starting next week and through the month of June! There will be just one linky for the whole month, a suggested topic for each week, and a prize for one lucky link-up at month's end. So the suggested topic for June 5 is Beverages & Appetizers. Not that you have to stick to the topic - any table-related post will do - a recipe, a story from your table, or a project you've made for your kitchen or table. Sure hope you can join in the fun! (Note to non-bloggers - just share in the comments section and email me a picture and I'll link you up!)

5 comments:

  1. The herb garden looks great, Debbie! And so does that butter. I'm pretty sure if you gave me that on some crusty bread I would be quite happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good Debbie. I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm putting extra butter on my grocery list today. can't wait to try this on steak. Thanks for the tip!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, can your hubby come and make me a herb garden too? :oD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herb butter is great to make! I used to make it for bread. When we had no garlic bread handy I'd make my own =D

    ReplyDelete