Monday, December 14, 2015

Modern Sampler :: Block D

The truth is, I tried to squeeze this month's block for the Modern Sampler Quilt quilt along in between Christmas sewing, and overall it was relaxing and just what I needed, at least until I got to those mitered borders. I'm not sure if I didn't trim my center block correctly or what, but things just weren't lining up, when they usually don't give me much trouble. Rather than start fresh, I'm going with something I heard Gwen Marston say in the recent podcast over at Crafty Planner - basically about it being ok for your project to look like it was made with human hands -  a counter to the notion that everything we sew has to be the model of perfection.


In general, I like things accurate and all that, but I'm just moving ahead from here. Though one element I am pleased about is the fact that I made this block entirely from scraps. Let's just say it had been too long since I'd rummaged through that scrap basket, and it felt real good.

I'm waiting for better daylight to get a photo of blocks A through D all together, so meanwhile I'll be linking up with Scraptastic Tuesday, and then next week, with the Modern Sampler Quilt Along: Block D link up. Now to get back to Christmas.

11 comments:

  1. This is good Debbie! I love the box/shadow effect! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's awesome. And I agree with Gwen. A gal in our guild does a program she calls "done is better than perfect" very reassuring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a great block and one could think the corners were intentional with the style of the blocks. gives me hope, I get really stuck on trying to be on the mark so thank you. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific block. Didn't realize that the off corner was an error vs. part of the intention of the block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfection is for machines; we are human. I've always wanted my quilts to look handmade, one of a kind, not produced on an assembly line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking a break from Christmas to go scrappy with us! Sometimes it is good to be more relaxed and enjoy and scrappy things suit that approach - well that's my story! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a neat block, Debbie! So three-dimensional. I had to look at it for a bit to get the depth out of my sight. If there's an error, it doesn't show. Nice work. And even better to scrap bash. Have fun preparing for your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mitered corners can be tricky sometimes, but I admire your decision to move on and accept it as it is. I need to follow your example. I look forward to seeing them all together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really a beautiful block. I am so tempted to get that pattern. But I would now just want to copy yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the low volume of the block. Had you not mentioned the imperfection I would not have noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't even notice anything until I read it! The block is good, and I call these Organic! So much better, than perfect!

    ReplyDelete