Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Own View

It was interesting to see #2015bestnine on Instagram and the Best of 2015 here on the blog, but from where I sit, things look and feel a little different. Numbers aside, I have my own favorites...



Each of the quilts pictured in this post gave me a singular pleasure in the making, and Steeped in Tradition and Mod Mood are close runners up. And though making quilts is mostly what it's been about, there have been some other moments worth mentioning, and more to come.

During the last year:
  • My daughter Rachel/Snippet of Sweetness, and I were able to attend QuiltCon, which was an amazing experience all around, and we pretty much couldn't stop grinning just because we were actually there. Plus I got to see my Fissures hang in the show. I honestly gasped when I first rounded a corner and saw it.
  • As a member of Bee Sewcial, an improv bee working only in solids, I've been challenged in new ways and found I love improv way more than I realized. 
  • I stepped up to being lead of Faith Circle, a part of the charity bee do.Good Stitches. Starting with my circle as a stitcher in 2011, then becoming a quilter in 2013, it seemed only natural to take on this new role when it was offered.
  • Being asked to share on Tsoniki's me being crafty podcast was surreal yet fun! Plus it was a good exercise in thinking about why I do what I do and where it all started.
  • Three new tutorials were created, and I even set up a Craftsy presence, just because.
  • Something I had no inking I would ever do at the year's start was accept speaking engagements. I shared The Creative Use of Neutral Fabric with the Fidalgo Island Quilters and The Improv Process with the Tacoma Modern Quilt Guild. Uh, both experiences were way more enjoyable than I expected; and though alot of work to prepare for, so very affirming. 
  • I brought The Scrap Basket newsletter to life after encouragement in a lecture at QuiltCon, and boy has it been fun! Having grown to over 700 subscribers, it's been a great place to expand what I do on the blog, as well as highlight the work of others. 
A new year is always filled with unknowns, but from what I do know, there's a couple of added roles I'll be playing:
  • Louise/I'm Feelin' Crafty and I are heading up the SMQG giving committee and we have huge shoes to fill.
  • As I already shared, I've joined the team of 2016 Finish-A-Long cohosts. This group has been so motivating to me over the last few years. I hope you consider joining us!


With that, I hope to step back from the over-posting you've been succumbed to the last week as I shared my end-of-year projects, and take some time with family. So you may not hear from me for a few days. Then again, you might. Either way, here's to facing a fresh new year.

12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Debbie! I am sure you will be just as productive and creative in 2016 as you were in 2015! Here's to a fresh new year.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best in 2016, Debbie. May it be a year of enjoyable creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A much needed break is in order for you! Have a Happy New Year and don't stay away too long! (I love Snooze Alarm...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year. Have loved seeing your beautiful creations come to life. I'm glad I will be able to your Beesewical quilt at Quiltcon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best for the new year and you did have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb you amaze me...quite obvious to see from how all the pieces fit together that you are using the talents God gifted you with :o) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure are an inspiration to me! What great projects you made and I'm looking forward to all the exciting adventures ahead! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful quilts! I'm really enjoying reading so many blogger's review their year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a year, Debbie! Wishing you an even better 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've enjoyed your newsletter this year. Thanks and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! Love your favourite projects

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like sizzling. The quilting makes the clean lines of this design just sizzle 😉

    ReplyDelete