Saturday, December 26, 2015

Pillows :: Round Two

So when I counted them up, I'd made 5 pillows plus 3 pillow covers as gifts this Christmas. They've all been gifted now, so after sharing three a few days ago, here's the rest.

After visiting family in Tennessee for Thanksgiving, I came home with the plan to make a pillow cover for my mom, who traveled back with us and is staying with my brother and sister-in-law for a couple of months. Mom has a pillow back there that needed a cover, so I guessed at the size, though alas, I was off. But at least it was fun to make, and got re-gifted to my niece, which is cool.


Also while back there, I gave my brother and his wife my Askew quilt, and it was mentioned right off that some coordinating pillows would be a nice addition. I made a pair of 17" covers to send off, then ordered pillow forms on Amazon and had them shipped straight to their home. Worked like a charm.


My son-in-law's grandma is a quilter and fabric-lover, and I happened to notice her pin Cluck Cluck Sew's Sprocket Pillow on Pinterest. This one was perfect to make with scraps, which I knew she would appreciate. I made the 14" version, stuffed it with poly-fill as directed, and it went together really smoothly. I covered a 1 1/2" diameter button for each side, and then came the trickiest part - securing those buttons. I'm not too keen on doing that again any time soon, but I do love the end result.


Just a couple of days before Christmas, I got to work on one last pillow and I really wasn't sure I could get it done in time. Hubby had loved the size of The Christmas House pillow I'd made for our guild swap, commenting that it would be perfect for him and his comfy chair. When I asked what it would look like, he said whatever I thought would go in our family room. Oh yeah - free reign!



So fingers crossed, I gathered up the extra bits my Bee Sewcial beemates had sent - little pieces that didn't make it into my Mod Mood quilt that hangs in that room - and put them together into a pillow cover, filling in with more solids and some gray chambray. Considering I only wanted a 12" x 24"' pillow per hubby's request, it went together pretty quickly, and I quilted it with the same organic zig zag as the original.



I'll confess I was pretty thrilled with the end result, and better yet, so was hubby. It's already being put to good use. yay.



Linking up with Fabric Tuesday and Scraptastic Tuesday.

11 comments:

  1. That is my next pillow too! Perfect size for couch naps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally motivating me to make pillows, each of these is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome pillows! I love them all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring and beautiful pillows, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pillows! I really like hubby's pillow - how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pillows are just so fun to make - and finish so much quicker than quilts...that's a plus in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so generous with your precious sewing time, Debbie! Each pillow you made is super - I BET those buttons were difficult! - but your hub's pillow is the best. You have a real knack for improv. It doesn't come naturally to me, but in 2016, I hope to focus on it more. After taking Sherri Lyn Wood's workshop, I have no excuse for not becoming good at it. Right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your round pillow especially!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you used scraps for hubby's pillow. It's always satisfying to use up every bit! I may have to borrow the FMQ idea, too - it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the cushions! Great to use up scraps for those smaller projects. Thanks as ever for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how the scraps all came together in your hubby's pillow to look modern but somewhat cohesive.

    ReplyDelete