Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The First Round

I don't even know how it started, but I made alot of pillows as Christmas gifts this year. They are all unique, and let's just say I do a very nice lapped zipper technique by memory now! Here's a few that have already been gifted. 

Scraps were incorporated whenever possible, so doing a log cabin with a fussy-cut center was a no-brainer. You can't see, but I used that C+S washi tape print as the backing, and it pulled the whole thing together nicely, plus the recipient loved it, which was a bonus. 

After seeing Katherine/Sew Me Something Good share her scrappy patchwork tree pillows, I dove right in and really enjoyed putting this one together. And for the record, quilting these babies up was fun and really quick. I layered the pillow tops with batting and backing before quilting, so they have a nice feel to them when stuffed.


I debated for a while what to do for this third pillow, and finally happened across Lee/Freshly Pieced's Fair Isle quilt pattern, and realized one poinsettia block would be a perfect pillow. I used two stash solids, Kona Rich Red and Cardinal and the combo really is quite striking in person against that white.


All pillow forms are 16", and I cut both the zippered backings and the quilted fronts exactly 16", and using a 1/2" seam, the resulting pillows are plump and full. Just as they should be, right?

11 comments:

  1. all of them are awesome! You have my address, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the poinsettia quilt when I first saw it but it's never made it to the top of my list. A pillow is a brilliant idea! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pillows! I made 2- 16" pillow covers for my brother and his wife this year. First time I made the invisible zipper back and I really liked how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully made - each one! Thanks for the measurement tip, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous trio of festive pillows, Debbie! I don't think I could pick a favourite, they are each so fabulous and certain to be appreciated by the recipients. Love them and thanks for the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've given me inspiration for next year. Love how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plump pillows are a necessity, aren't they? There does seem to be a knack to calculating the finished size to suit the inner form. That's what I find the hardest to do!
    Love the poinsettia ! And of course, Katherine's Christmas tress are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are each incredibly cute! I have a soft spot in my heart for both pillows and Christmas...seeing these just made my day.
    Merry Christmas to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these! I also made a couple of pillows this year - they are so much fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in love with the pointsettia pillow! I may need to add that to my next year holiday list! Merry Christmas to you and thanks for always inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete