Thursday, November 2, 2023

The Cozy

I'm sure you've noticed by now that I do enjoy a little handwork on the side of my main creative endeavor of making quilts. And when opportunities arise to learn new methods or techniques, I at least take notice. 

So when Alison Glass emailed about her upcoming Cozy Workshop & Sew Along, I was intrigued. "The Cozy Quilt is a jersey knit, raw edge, reverse appliqué project (throw quilt or floor pillows/sampler) made out of high quality, 100% cotton, medium weight jersey knit, quilting cotton, and Perle cotton thread." Yes, it's a quilt workshop - but with jersey? Raw edge? Reverse appliqué? Yep. Alison was originally inspired to try reverse appliqué by seeing the work of the work of Alabama Chanin, which I'm familiar with, but not to a large extent.


Needless to say, I'm joining in The Cozy Worship & Sew Along. It officially begins in January 2024, but we are receiving some information early so we can prepare the middle layer of our quilt, which will be made of quilter's cotton. I'm planning on piecing an improv middle layer out of stashed Carolyn Friedlander fabrics, and meanwhile have ordered the Amber Cozy Knit Kit - four yards of 100% cotton jersey, which will be used for both the top and backing of my Cozy quilt. Other supplies I've ordered include:

Pre-Cut Stencils - Falling Leaves 
Sharpie Twin Tip Marker 
Cozy Needles - Milliners 3 - Set of 25

We'll also need some perle cotton and some micro-tip scissors, but I already have those. Anyway, I'll report back one my middle layer is under way. But I'm looking forward to learning a new way to make a quilt in the new year.


Be sure and let me know if you're joining in too, so I can follow along!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds very interesting and like you will enjoy learning something a bit new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the link. I'll enjoy seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be joining in the fun as well for this cozy quilt! I have a lot of Kaffe Fassett fabrics that I"ll be piecing for my middle layer! @napmath3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yay! That sounds great, Nancy! Thanks for leaving your IG handle so I could follow along!

      Delete
  4. Yay you for joining! I hope you have lots of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete