Thursday, August 2, 2012

Zakka Along Week 18 :: Bread Basket

This week's Zakka project is a little bread basket designed by Roxy Creations. Tamiko of Patchwork Notes shared her darling version of the basket along with a sad little story about some wild blackberry scones. snif

For my version, I went totally linen this time around. Remember when I received some lovely Sunshine from Generation Q a while back? For some reason, it came immediately to mind for this project - so bright and cheerful.
For the main body of the basket, I used Essex Linen in natural - they paired so nicely together! For  stabilizer, I used 808 Craft Fuse, which might have made it a tad more difficult to work with overall, but gave a really nice feel to the finished project.
And my Grandma's button tin came through for me this week with, in my humble opinion, the perfect button for a closure. For the loop, I used some of the natural twill tape I used on my Zakka Linen Bag, but stitched it in half to make it quite narrow. That worked perfectly!
Overall, I found this project fairly straight-forward, until it came time to sew the basket and handle edges all together. I got a tad confused at the junction of the basket and the handles. I didn't notice a mention in the book or other posts I'd read about being particular at these spots, but at any rate, I achieved a couple of little tucks. Oh well. I think it's pretty sweet anyway.

Linking up with LRstitched.

25 comments:

  1. Really cute! I like the fabrics you chose. Very summery and fresh. So, where are you going to be carrying some bread to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Perfect use for those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Debbie! I love the colors, and you are right, the button is perfect. When I made mine I joined the sides before reading that I was to stop 1/4 from the end. I pulled out a few stitches and went with it. It was a bit tricky, but the outcome is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I love the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Debbie! So bright and cheerful, and I love that button!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how pretty - you're definitely persuading me to get the book now.. ugh! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. how pretty - you're definitely persuading me to get the book now.. ugh! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job Debbie, I swear that linen looks good with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colour choice! The vintage button is perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking basket. I love the colour fabric you used in addition to the linen =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is SUPER sweet - I'm planning on using Essex Linen natural as well so it's nice to see it made up. The other fabrics you chose are so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one is really very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's SUPER sweet! Even from a photo using the linen changes the texture of this bag - it looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. totally gorgeous!!! Love the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That would make a great gift!...Now if someone would just make me the bread!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it, but what I want to know is...are you actually going to use it for bread?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable! What are you doing to use it for? It seems too pretty for any plain old loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh La La! Will a loaf of french bread fit? It will be a handy bag! You are so creative! Loved the button!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that orange print. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it, Debbie! Perfect fabrics for the project. I just finished mine. Found the sewing together of front and lining a bit tricky, but it eventually worked out fine.
    Off to project 19. Wow!Only 6 more to go.

    ReplyDelete