Thursday, August 3, 2017

An Apple a Day....

Once again I let cuteness get the best of me! I found this apple pattern by Pen + Paper Patterns pretty irresistible, and I just had to make it for my friend Sharon/@redapplestitches' birthday. She loves apples, obviously, and I was sure hoping she could find a use for this mini!


Talk about a fun little sew! The quarter-circles are large enough, they go together so easily. It was fun choosing the apple fabrics, and I basically chose Essex as the background because I knew it would be super fun to quilt with contrasting red thread. Even though it looks black in the photos, the Essex is really Indigo Yarn Died, and I kinda love it!


Obviously, quilting was done in an uneven grid, a current favorite, and I couldn't resist putting a little of that stripe in the binding.


My version finishes at 19" square - a little larger than the pattern suggests. Since I was making a mini quilt rather than a quilt block, I didn't see any reason to trim it smaller.


Anyway, this was a fun little diversion from larger projects, and I'm pretty sure Sharon loved it as much as I do!

16 comments:

  1. Bright and cherry, and a very cute design. I think it's got me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a super cute little quilt; lots of fun details in it to look at and enjoy. I am sure Sharon will find the perfect place to display or way to use the mini quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my new mini! I especially love the theme, the fabric, the quilting, and that little spark of stripe in the binding...basically everything about it. I couldn't be happier. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun diversion is a great way to blow the quilting cobwebs away. It's a lovely mini, fun and cheerful, it would brighten up any room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE !!! love the binding detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debbie! I love this apple quilt! Wow this is so beautiful and the funny thing is that I got few days paper napkins with the similar apple and wanted so much to use that for sewing! You can see in my instagram www.instagram.com/nerospost This would be perfect gift for friends! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic Deb! You've done a lovely job and I love the background you chose. Luckily I already have this pattern in my stash - might have to make one into a Christmas present (it's not too early now that we're into August?).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your contrasted grid quilting and binding detail ! It's such a lovely pattern and you found the perfect fabric combination for it !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great feature Debbie!!! I enjoy receiving your newsletter in my inbox and I thank you for introducing me to a new one!

    pirates of the caribbean 5

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this lil/big improve piece! Your improstripes is also wonderful and inspiring!
    AlwaysSewing,
    Maryse

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete