Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Pincushion Parade

The day after the Improv Stripes QAL started, wouldn't you know it, another event started - the #pinnieparade, a daily pincushion party hosted by Cheri/@tinkerellen. I kinda couldn't resist joining in! Luckily, you can post either a brand new pincushion you've made, an oldie but goodie, or even one you received as a gift or whatever. So with those loose rules, I figured I could possibly keep up. And for future reference, I thought I'd share them here, a week or so at a time. So without further ado.....

Day 1 - First up was the Prettified Pincushion, one of my favorite makes from Ayumi Takahashi's Patchwork, Please! This one has obviously been well-used, but I'm still quite fond of it.


Day 2 - With scraps from my improv stripes project sitting on my cutting table, it was an obvious choice to use some to make a little pincushion. Quick and easy.


Day 3 - Ages ago, I crazy-pieced all my green scraps for a couple of different projects. Leftover bits were perfect for this little pinnie.


Day 4 - Here's one that was a gift from the talented Hillary/@entropyalwayswins. I kinda love it! Check out Hillary's #instatute for a tutorial.


Day 5 - Boy it was fun to make a Spool Pin Cushion Block by Faith/Fresh Lemons! Seriously, the piecing took under 15 minutes! Also Faith has tutorials for several more varieties of spool blocks on her blog.


Day 6 - Back in time again, to when grandgirl got her first sewing machine. Obviously she needed a pincushion, and I made her a Deluxe Pincushion from Heidi/@fabricmutt's book, Sew Organized for the Busy Girl.


Day 7 - And for this last one, I took inspiration from a triangle pincushion I saw on Pinterest by Jeni/In Color Order. After I made mine in a more improvisational style, I realized Jeni had written a tutorial for hers, so I've linked to that above.


It's been fun to create a little, as well as look back a little - work totally on the fly, as well as try some new-to-me designs. It's a good thing. Check out the #pinnieparade hashtag on Instagram for oodles more!

7 comments:

  1. They are all wonderful. I never cease to be amazed at how many pincushions we quilters own.....and use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pincushions are things I often admire yet I only have two, one that was shop bought and a gift from a friend and one is a beautiful little thing with a wooden base and a tweed top, it was far too expensive for a pincushion, but I fell in love with it. Yours are so pretty, maybe it's time I made a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved watching everyone's pinnies pop up on Instagram! yours are all awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always an inspiration Debbie! So many ideas, all wrapped in fabric goodness! Little puffy works of art! I don't think I will keep up, but it is a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pincushions are wonderful--so, so pretty! Makes me want to replace my good old vintage 1953 tomato pincushion I had to buy for my home ec class! Believe it or not, it is not worn out, and I still use it, although my mouth is watering for a pretty one like the ones you displayed! What do you stuff them with? I think I may need to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Debbie ! And it's interesting to see the different layout options you considered.

    pirates of the caribbean 5

    ReplyDelete