Friday, August 23, 2019

Summer Sampler 2019 :: Dandelion Clock

This week's Summer Sampler block was designed by Jo Avery/My Bear Paw, and was an engaging combination of freehand(!) foundation piecing and improvisational curves. I actually struggled the most with drawing my wedges, which surprised me. It was a matter of fitting the right number in while making them in interesting and somewhat cohesive sizes and shapes. But I managed, obviously, and headed on in to the piecing.



Unfortunately, the sew-in interfacing that was suggested for the technique, and which I'd ordered a week ago, made it (briefly) within 30 miles of my mailbox, but then got lost in a state it shouldn't have gone to. So I used paper and that actually worked well enough.




Surprisingly, those curves were the easiest part! I'm so smitten with the method using the Sewline Glue Stick that Jen Carlton-Bailly/@bettycrockerass taught us on the Cul de Sac block early on. It's made all the difference.

If you'd like to have a look at Jo's 
freehand foundation piecing technique, she has a tutorial!


Week 13: Altitude [diamonds]     Week 12: Fussy Love [fussy-cutting]
Week 11: Bird's Eye Weave [stripes+curves]     Week 10: Off Kilter [partial seams]
Week 9: Oasis [inset pieced circle]     Week 8: Fierce [tiny piecing]
Week 7: Sparkler [transparency]     Week 6: Cul de Sac [curves]
Week 5: Rope Twist [paper-piecing]     Week 4: Victorian Tile [nested seams]
Week 3: Curious Crossing [improvisational piecing]
 Week 2: Pixelations [half-square triangles]     Week 1: Spring Fever [precision piecing]

2 comments:

  1. what a cool block. her tutorial looks interesting too. I might have to give it a try some time

    ReplyDelete