Thursday, August 8, 2019

Summer Sampler 2019 :: Fussy Love

Considering the overarching theme of this year's Summer Sampler is "Piecing Bootcamp," I was a tad dubious when I saw the skill for the week was fussy cutting. Only because the fabrics I'm using aren't really that fussy-cut-able. But I wanted to go with the flow on my block, designed by Justin/Keaton Quilts.



So I took a close look at my fabrics and realized one of my background fabrics, even though not your typical feature fabric, was indeed fussy-cut-able if I focused on the darkest orange in the print. AND. I like it! Like ALOT! With the lines of the dark orange sections all running vertically, it added some interesting movement to the block. I'll take it!



One little item of note, and it was just how the pattern happened to assign my fabrics, but none of the four surrounding the background squares are typical quilting cotton, rather woven cotton, thick woven yarn dyed, and Essex Yarn Dye Homespun. I like the texture those add to the design.



Week 11: Bird's Eye Weave [stripes+curves]     Week 10: Off Kilter [partial seams]
Week 9: Oasis [inset pieced circle]     Week 8: Fierce [tiny piecing]
Week 7: Sparkler [transparency]     Week 6: Cul de Sac [curves]
Week 5: Rope Twist [paper-piecing]     Week 4: Victorian Tile [nested seams]
Week 3: Curious Crossing [improvisational piecing]
 Week 2: Pixelations [half-square triangles]     Week 1: Spring Fever [precision piecing]

1 comment:

  1. I love the block and how you made the theme work with your fabrics. Even though I can't get myself to join the summer sampler fun, it is so nice to see your block collection grow :) xo

    ReplyDelete