Monday, June 19, 2023

The Dualism Challenge

It took me a while to mull over the latest challenge from Quilt Improv Studio, which is Dualism. But finally, I came up with an idea I was good with, and things were fun from there on out. 


I think part of my excitement was choosing colors and fabrics that I really loved together - Cotton Couture Acid, Kona Raisin, and a print - Cactus Needles from the Charley Harper Barkcloth line.


I used my 12" Clammy ruler to cut circles and backgrounds, and if you don't know, the Clammy is awesome at this. Piecing was pretty uneventful, and I was able to trim each circle block at 13.5" square. Of course, I played with the layout for a bit. The photo below is actually before I decided to add one more block using the print, so you can compare this with the layout I ended up with and see what you think you would have chosen.


I had great fun making a quilt back using all the leftovers from piecing the quilt front, including the extra solid circle block I didn't end up needing. 


Early on, I had a simple quilting plan that I stuck with. Using Aurifil 40wt 2570 [Aubergine] and 5015 [Gold Yellow], I stitched horizontal straight lines in the two colors and two densities. The bottom two sections are quilted with lines in Aubergine 1" apart; the top two sections are quilted with lines in Gold Yellow 1" apart. Which means the middle section is alternating with both thread colors, and lines that are 1/2" apart. 



Matched binding seemed an obvious choice for this one, which I am calling Duality, fitting fairly well considering this definition:
du·al·i·ty - an instance of opposition or contrast between two concepts or two aspects of something; a dualism.


The quilt finished at 39.5" square, and I gotta say, simple as it is in design, palette, and quilting, I'm quite fond of it. Now off to post it in the Quilt Improv Studio challenge, hashtag #qisdualism.

10 comments:

  1. Kona Raisin might just be a new crush (I used it in a project quilting quilt earlier this year); it's such a versatile color and pairs beautifully with the cotton couture acid. I really love the change up of the quilting thread colors and the middle section where they alternate. Any plans for this delightful quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super finish, yes, Dualism for sure. thanks for the Improv Quilt Studio link, I had fun looking through everything there. Inspiring.
    And your kitty has lovely blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning quilt, I love the 4 printed circles version, and the quilting is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I like everything about this, from the fabrics to the design, the threads. So fun! I haven't joined in since I can't seem to settle on an idea, but you kept yours simple and it worked really well! Love the backing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I recently fallen in love with circles in my quilting and have always loved Kona chartreuse, which is similar to the yellow color that you used. I've never thought of pairing it with a dark like raisin, but I have paired it with Kona purple and it looks spectacular. Absolutely love this quilt and it has really inspired me for my guild challenge. Beautiful quilting and like I said- super duper inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I'm glad to hear the quilt has inspired you for your guild challenge. Good luck with that! I think this is the first time I used this color combo but I love it too!

      Delete
  6. I would love to know how you did the matched binding. That has been a stumbling block for me. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I had a tutorial for the matched binding (and a separate one for angled matched binding). Look here. I hope it helps! https://aquilterstable.blogspot.com/2012/06/about-that-binding.html

      Delete
  7. Awesome, Debbie!!! I've only used the Clammy for clam shells. I love your creative use of the Clammy. And of course the colors are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful. Great fabric and design choices and the quilting goes so well with the quilt.

    ReplyDelete