Friday, June 30, 2023

On-the-Go Project Bag

After seeing my friend ooh and aah over my On-the-Go Project Bag, I knew exactly what to make her once her birthday rolled around. The pattern is in Svetlana Sotak's That Handmade Touch, and having made it a number of times, I was happy to make it again.

Knowing the exterior fabric was one of the things my friend liked about my bag, I hunted down the same graphic Essex print for the bag's main fabric. THAT's from the Balboa line by Erin Dollar @cottonandflax, and I absolutely adore it for this use. The bottom fabric is also an Essex - from Carolyn Friedlander's euclid. For the lining, I found a beautiful Jewel Tones Floral in Yellow by Makower UK. I'm not generally a floral person, but this I really love.

As I discovered in prior makes, Pellon 911FF Fusible Featherweight works great with this pattern. The bag has plenty of structure and stands on its own when empty.

For the leather handles, I purchased a 3/4" wide, 15" long strap set from Anna Graham's @noodlehead531 shop. For drawstrings, I used 5/32" cotton braided cording, which I already had on hand. They're sturdy, and I think, fit the weight and look of this bag.


The finished bag size measures 10" wide x 12" tall x 4" deep, and I really don't have any doubt that my friend will love it. I've been using mine for several years now, and I find it a handy size for not just the occasional project, but impromptu outings. Pretty sure I'll find a reason to revisit this pattern again.

6 comments:

  1. I love the bright lining that you chose. I'm sure your friend is going to be thrilled with this special gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing finish! Svetlana has great patterns. Fabric choices just right too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that it looks calm and serene on the outside and then there is unexpected pop of color and print. I hope your friend loves her new bag :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the others, I love that pop of color on the inside of the bag. Sotak Handmade patterns are such fun to make! Your friend is going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo. I'm so glad you shared this! It looks like a great project bag, and could likely be practical for friends who are not makers. Thank you for sharing details and links to where you found the products. Only fabric, and perhaps the drawstring cord, can be found around here. You're the best friend to your friend! I know she'll love her gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pop of lining color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete