Tuesday, May 15, 2012

About those Grommets

When it came time to add grommets to the potholders I made recently, I was a bit apprehensive. I looked to hubby for help, but he barely had time to try it himself before running off on his own deadlines. So I studied the {poor} diagrams on the package, and then tested one on some scrap fabric. Feeling fairly confident, I forged ahead, with pretty decent results. It's not hard - it's just that there's a right way and a wrong way, so when you go to it, pay close attention.

You start with a pair of grommet pliers (mine are by Dritz, purchased from amazon.com) and a package of grommets (purchased separately, as I wanted silver).
First, you mark your placement. But before you do, take a good look at your pliers. See the white piece on the bottom? It actually swivels. To do the marking, you want the flat surface of the platform to be positioned so when you "bite" the fabric, the metal hits the flat rather than the indented part. (make sense?)
So go ahead and "bite" the fabric where you want your grommet to be. I just held the pliers as far in as I could in the corner of the potholder.
If the project were thinner, maybe the pliers would cut clear through, but with 2 layers of quilting cotton and 2 layers of batting, I needed to trim just a tad with my small, pointy scissors.
Before you move to the next step, you should have a small hole clear through your project.
Now it's time to actually insert the first half of the grommet. Use the piece that has a 'post' and place it through the hole with the flattest (finished) side on the right side of your fabric. What you see below is the potholder back facing up.
Now take a grommet 'washer' and place it over the post. The domed side of the washer should be facing up. (A spare post/washer set on the side there so hopefully you can clearly see the difference.)
Grab your grommet pliers, and turn the white platform around so the indented end meets up with the metal piece.
Time to press that grommet on! The large white part of the platform will protect the right side of your grommet on the top of your piece, while the metal bit will spread the post to keep the grommet in place. Press as hard as you can at this point!
The wrong side of the grommet on the back of your piece will look like this:
While the front looks nice and finished like this:
You just installed a grommet! And your potholder is ready to use!
If you make a project inspired by this or any other post you see on A Quilter's Table, it would be great if you posted pictures in my flickr group, Quilting with A Quilter's Table. Thanks!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Deb! Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered how those things worked, and wanted to try it on a bag. Thanks for the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great potholders! I've been wondering when I saw these and Malka's, about heat transfering from a hot oven to a grommet to your hand. I'm just klutzy enough that would happen to me. What's your experience?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your holders and thanks for the tute. Wallace would love your grommets. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The grommets add so much to it--very cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite professional looking! I always wondered how they work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just fabulous, Debbie! So helpful!
    I just might have the courage to tackle grommets now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good tips, thanks! I've only tried with the hammer and little anvil thing, and that was a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clear instructions! These grommets look very professional! I see many of these in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great instructions, Debbie. I'm definitely going to try it. It really does add a professional look to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great tutorial and they look amazing but is it terrible that I think it's a bit too much like a tool?! I don't do tools!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok I could do that, time to get the hardware. I like grommets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen that nifty tool. Every time I have installed grommets it is with a hammer and the simple plastic thing that usually comes with grommets, but your way looks WAY easier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thank you SO much for this. I'm going to be installing grommets for the first time soon, and this guide is JUST what I wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete