Monday, February 24, 2014

Pluses

My most recent quilt finish will be donated to an organization that provides transitional housing in my community. When first considering what to make for them, I happened upon the Double Plus Quilt pattern from Quilts by Emily, and honestly it was a perfect choice.
I hadn't made a quilt strictly by a pattern for a while, so it was actually quite refreshing. With nice big 15" blocks, this one went together effortlessly. The backgrounds are Alexander Henry's Heath in Metal and Northcott Colorworks in Pearl, two long-time favorites. All the plusses were made with stash fabrics first inspired by the brown and blue plaid below. As I added more fabrics, the green snuck in, and all together, the palette has a very soothing feel to me. Continuing with the easy-going flow, I quilted horizontally using one of my machine's specialty stitches, a wide and wavy zig-zag and my much-favored Aurifil 50wt #2600 (light gray).
Backing is a Juggling Summer print by Zen Chic in pale gray, and the binding a square white dot on gray by sherbet pips by Annela Hoey. Finishing at 60x75", this one was indeed a pleasure to make, and I'd highly recommend the pattern.
Now I'm just hoping it'll give someone else as much pleasure as it's given me.

Linking up at Fabric Tuesday and Finish it Up Friday.

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful....and the photography is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! I like the colours... You are right, very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful quilt, Debbie. And how wonderful of you to give it to such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic background gray fabric Debbie. I love this quilt and I'm sure it will make someone very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilt! I really like the fabric you used for the pluses, they really pop with the grey background .:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Debbie! Wonderful for you to share your talents :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the choice of zig zag stitching, gives the appearance of hand-stitching from a distance! Going to put that in my bag of tricks. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great all around Debbie. I wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great all around Debbie. I wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so so fabulous Debbie. What a beautiful gift of love

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is lovely. I was thinking for a moment it is hand quilted. Love the photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It will certainly be loved and appreciated! I love how the cream squares off set the coloured crosses. (BTW Aurifil #2600 is my favourite 'go-to' grey too!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so awesome of you to donate this quilt. I know the recipient will feel better knowing people out there care so much. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for big blocks, it looks great :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That color pallet and the design really are pleasing together. I am excited by the new color ideas I'm seeing in the quiltosphere - and this is a perfect example! -Letty

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great-looking quilt, Deb. It has a very calming, laid-back style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing! I really like your stitch selection for the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great quilt! Love the pattern and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The photography on this one is STUNNING! Beautiful quilt, with beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is lovely. I think the colours and fabrics and quilting all work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great gift this will be to someone! Nice job! I love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a stack of fabrics that were intended to become a "plus" quilt - and now after seeing your gorgeous version I think I'll pull those out and get working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh, just love the design and how you used the fabrics! Awesome pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love the calming, earthy, organic look of this quilt! Lovely and will surely be loved for it's soothing qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the layout you used here and especially the fabrics you chose for the background fabric

    ReplyDelete