Monday, February 3, 2014

Riley Blake meets Mango

The Basics Challenge with Riley Blake Designs was announced in August 2013. Shortly after, Modern Quilt Guild members received a fun fat-eighth bundle. Other solids and Riley Blake prints were also allowed to be added in.
Months later, I finally decided to combine the basics with my Mango Block. Except that after I made the quarter-blocks, I separated them with the gray and white stripe. I did also use some white solid, as you see, but otherwise only the Riley Blake basics in the quantities I was given. 
On went mitered borders, using the handy tutorial by Amy's Creative Side.
Yikes! I worked with this block over several days AND put the border on before I noticed my piecing error! Of course the seam ripper got right to work and made things right. I quilted different patterns in each section of the quilt basically on a whim (see some detail in top photo), though that wasn't captured well in photos. But it certainly was fun, and matched binding seemed the perfect finishing touch.
Challenge complete!

This project was on my 2014 Q1 Finish-A-Long List. Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

17 comments:

  1. This is very nice block. It looks complicated but I will try. You have so good tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the extra dimension your quilting has added to this block mini! Another resounding success Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a while to see your YIKES! The finished quilt is really great. Love your mango block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the link to see how it is made. congrats on designing a great block -- and thanks for posting a tutorial on it. great results on all the quilts you made from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your design! Is it paper-pieced? Looks great, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! I love the dense circular quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, the quilting is wonderful and the binding is a perfect last touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! The binding is way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it, Debbie. I had to search for the piecing error. I really like the addition of the sashing inside the block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes I am just so amazed, how in the world did you come up with that quilting in the center, it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the quilting in the middle that makes the secondary pattern but my favorite is the circle matchstick quilting. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What was your piecing error? Oh my gosh, just spent 5 minutes staring at this and can't figure it out lol! :D

    ReplyDelete