Thursday, February 13, 2014

On Blitzen

As Christmas gifts this past year, I made two table runners using the patchwork table runner tutorial by s.o.t.a.k handmade. Actually, the second one was a variation, using 2 1/2" squares from a mini charm pack, where Svetlana's tutorial called for 2" squares. And the setting was slightly different
While making both of these runners, I was definitely wishing I had time to make one for myself too, but well, time just didn't allow. SO when a mini charm pack of basicgrey's blitzen was discovered in my stocking on Christmas morning, I knew just what I wanted to do with it!

So again I used the larger squares, adjusting the other measurements as needed. All these tweaks make a difference of course. Where the original runner was 41" long, the second was 46", and this newest one, 50".
But I'm fine with that. As a background, I again used Kaufman's Essex (of course!); backing was from stash fabrics, Sandy Gervais' Reindeer Games pieced with basicgrey's pb&j "Jelly".
For quilting, I got out every white and beige I had - #2000 (beige), #2021 (natural white), #2024 (white), #2310 (light beige), #2314 (medium beige), #2326 (tan) - and I have plenty thanks to the Aurifil Basics Collection I won last year on Giveaway Day. {Boy, have I enjoyed that box!}
And from there I straight-line quilted across the width at irregular intervals, changing out the threads whenever I felt like it. Towards each end, I matchstick-quilted a 2" section just for some added detail.
Bound in more Essex (which worked very nice by the way), I was compelled to wash and dry the runner immediately to see how that linen/cotton mix crinkled up. And I wasn't disappointed.

This project is on my 2014 FAL Q1 list. All credit for the finished project photos goes to hubby. Thanks Joe.

16 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous and it is so nice to make something that is kept in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an elegant table runner Debbie! I must seek out some more mini charms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these turned out so well - thanks for sharing the details (I never know what to do this those cute mini charm packs but this is a great idea).

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute! so glad you made time to make one for yourself

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the texture of the washed table runner! The matchstick quilting and linen make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!
    I'll have to remember this idea for Christmas presents in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, the minimalist design, the fabrics, the many threads, the linen and especially the quilting. This is the kind of project that just calls to me to make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this and how fun will it be to pull it out this year and get excited all over again!! :) The quilting looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the sections that are match stick quilted, that makes it something super special! Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely table runners, Debbie. I love small projects for playing with fabric and new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! I've got a regular charm pack of Blitzen waiting for me to do something with. This is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, great use for those mini charm packs :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The texture is just fantastic! Have fun enjoying it....next year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the runners. Glad you showed your quilting and the reasons you chose to change to match stick quilting. Nice to see the way your mind works.
    linsquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete