Tuesday, February 4, 2014

SMQG January BOM

In January at our last guild meeting, Katie and Sandie proposed a block-of-the-month (BOM) for the guild. First up, making the Christmas Snowflake block by Rachel/Wooden Spoon. Katie offered a slightly different construction technique for the hsts.
Christmas Snowflake Block
Though it's a bit of cutting to get going, I found it very fun, and a great use for some low-volume charms I had - they gave me a good variety of fabrics!

For quilting, I did a simple wavy stitch down each row, using Aurifil #2021 (Natural White), which seemed a good compromise color-wise with the low-volume prints. I did a flap-closure for the back, using Kaufman's Essex in Natural; binding is Moda Grunge by BasicGrey. This block makes one very nice 20" pillow.

As an alternate (read: less time-consuming) option, a simpler pattern for a 12" block was also provided.
Little Snowflake Block
photo by Katie Pedersen
A similar look, yes, but I really like the patchwork in the bigger piece. Plus I haven't made pillows for our home for ages, and this one will coordinate great with our Christmas quilt and tree-skirt. You know, in December. I may need to make another.

17 comments:

  1. I really like the first version. I have never worked with low value fabrics. I really like the look

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one gorgeous cushion Debbie! I am a big fan of turquoise. Add those lovely low volume fabrics and you have another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie! I love your pillow with the little patches! The star is beautiful because it has so 'soft' look. My favourite! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern and need to make one for myself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how it all blends together! Beautiful work :) Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so great Deb! I blame you that I am now scheming about what fabrics I'll use to make one :) Question: Do you cut your fabric for HSTs over-sized and trim down, or did you use the stated size in the tutorial?Looks so great Deb! I blame you that I am now scheming about what fabrics I'll use to make one :) Question: Do you cut your fabric for HSTs over-sized and trim down, or did you use the stated size in the tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so great Deb! I blame you that I am now scheming about what fabrics I'll use to make one :) Question: Do you cut your fabric for HSTs over-sized and trim down, or did you use the stated size in the tutorial?Looks so great Deb! I blame you that I am now scheming about what fabrics I'll use to make one :) Question: Do you cut your fabric for HSTs over-sized and trim down, or did you use the stated size in the tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  8. the pillow is lovely but I jumped over here to tell you I loved the cross stitch bag so much, its adorable. I still say you sew 24/7 . Do you stay home or do you work, because If you work, I want to know your secret in accomplishing all this, I stay home and still dont get all this done and I see you everywhere on the internet.. Come on Share your secret!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/#inbox/1440127bdae73a95
    see this

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Love the patchwork version - so many more yummy fabrics to admire. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your version! More of a wintery colour scheme, perfect for a snowflake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, that's teeny patchwork, I thought from the post thumbnail that it was an entire quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cushion is gorgeous Debbie. Such tiny patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I just love the colours you used!

    ReplyDelete