Thursday, October 18, 2012

Really Random

Christmas has begun to show up in the stores, and also here in blog land. {yikes} If you're ready to face it, join Jaceycraft, A Little GrayOlivia Jane Handcrafted, and Esch House Quilts as they host a Holiday Craft Bash, each sharing a project around the week's theme. This first week of six happens to be "stocking" week. There's even a flickr group where projects are starting to gather.

Another fun event just starting up is The Long Weekend Blog Hop hosted by Fabric Mutt and Lori H. Designs. It's all about making Amy Butler's Weekender Travel Bag, and the kick-off was this past Monday! If you've ever wanted to make this awesome bag, but hesitated to go it alone, this is your big chance! Stop back by A Quilter's Table on Monday, when I'll be sharing about my recent Weekender experience as well as hosting an awesome giveaway! I'm certainly going to be keeping tabs on The Long Weekend flickr group too, to see the bags come together.

Tina at Seaside Stitches shared a cool post with links on making color palettes from your own photos. I heard about these at Sewing Summit, and was curious. So I tried Palette Builder and came up with a palette from a photo of a windmill that I took last weekend. Have you tried any palette creators?

Also, I just have to share a quilt one of my bee-mates made in the Always Bee Learning Bee! Remember when I made these pod blocks for Stephanie of Spontaneous Threads?
Improvisational Curves-Pods 
Well just look at her pod quilt!

You can read all about it and see lots more pictures on her blog post!

Speaking of blog posts, Sara of Sew Sweetness was kind enough to post "Zippers 4 Ways", the zipper techniques she shared in her class at Sewing Summit!

And since it's Really Random Thursday, I'll just mention how glad I was yesterday that I keep a quilt in my office. The furnace broke down, and I worked all day with my Zakka quilt spread across my lap. Good chance I'll do the same today!

Linking up with Really Random Thursday!
Live A Colorful Life

15 comments:

  1. I'm so not ready to embrace Christmas yet. In denial actually LOL.

    The pod blocks turned out really great - she made a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used the Playcrafts Palette Builder too- its great fun! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to bookmark this post...tons of great information!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you had the quilt! I just got the weekender pattern yesterday, I am off to buy supplies and pick some fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's supposed to be 95 here today which does NOT put me in the holiday spirit...But I know it's just around the corner so I'm starting some holiday sewing.

    There are some great links here. Thanks for linking up! That pod quilt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the mention, Debbie! Isn't that Palette Builder fantastic? I still love your office Zakka quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never used any sort of pallette builder. I see it around, but playing with it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. How has it been, getting back into work after such a busy weekend? At least you have a quilt to keep you warm in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for posting about the Holiday Craft Bash! We're so excited to be bringing these projects to the sewing community!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been itching to make some of the cute little bags/pouches I've seen but haven't touched a zipper since my clothing-making days so that tutorial might get me started - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait for the weekender hop, I am so making one, I love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pod quilt!! I used the Palette Builder for a blog hop project I'm making. We use the colors of the palette builder to make an EPP project. My sister keeps a quilt in the trunk of her car just in case of emergencies. Lucky that you had one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooo thanks for the zipper link!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your zakka quilt. I found some fabric that resembles linen, it's cotton, so might just bust out that book after all! Gorgeous pod quilt too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of good stuff in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a blog hop going on that uses the palette builders with a comp at the end of November *hint hint*

    ReplyDelete