Saturday, October 20, 2012

It Really Is the People

You've probably read it on oodles of other blogs this past week as Sewing Summit attendees recap their weekend. But of course you knew it to be true even before that. With all the great classes, swag, and sewing, the heart of the experience really was the people.

Daughter dear and I had not even boarded our flight out of town before we met out first new friend. And I confess, it was my Weekender Bag that brought us together!
Katie of there & back came right up to us in the boarding line, excitedly asking if we were headed to Sewing Summit! We hooked up again at baggage claim in SLC and managed to catch a shuttle to our hotel plum full of others SS attendees! (Hi to Ellie of Craft Sew Create, Amy of form work, Amanda of Patchwork in Paradise, and Stephanie of providence handmade.)

I felt really inadequate recognizing even my bloggy friends, but thankfully, several of them came up to me to meet and greet while we waited to check in!
with Karen of capitolaQuilter

with Shawn of Creative Inspiraciones

with Darcy of Modern Cozy

Day one's shop hop was my first ever, and for that reason alone, it was exhilarating. Add to that the swag, the awesome shops, {the philly cheesesteak}, the fabric frenzy, and just traveling around in a new-to-me town . . . well it was just plain fun.
Rachel {daughter dear} of Snippets of Sweetness

with Jennifer of knotted thread

Once Sewing Summit officially started, our days were plum full {recaps here and here}. From our brisk run for coffee each morning, till we closed down the open sew each night, we were going, going. It didn't take long before we were waving at familiar faces in the halls and chatting before class. Everywhere we went there were new friends to meet, moo cards to exchange, and sharing to do about our experiences.
with Coutenay from Three Sisterz and Rachel

   
with Amy/Sukie {finally!} of Sukie Don't you know who I am 


with Allegory of {sew} Allegorical

with Bianca of sweet diesel designs

with January of Sew Sew Go, Tiffany of This Crafty Fox, and Sara of Sew Sweetness

About the time we thought our awesome weekend was all over, that Weekender Bag led us to more new friends at the airport! What fun to end our time in SLC just getting acquainted and chatting about sewing and stuff.
 
with Amber of One Shabby Chick 

Megan of lucy and norman

And there were many more meaningful connections I made, meet-ups to cherish, and friendships I'll continue to nurture. Yes, it was definitely about the people.

21 comments:

  1. How FUN!!! Looks like an awesome time. Two of these ladies are in my bee - Bianca and Katie. :) Your daughter is adorable, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you were able to get a good picture of me!!! It was fun meeting you. Can't wait til next year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun! I'm sure I would have been awful at recognizing people. Seeing all your pictures really makes me want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie - It was wonderful to meet you in person after all the virtual chatting. Thanks for the great picture of us too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im so happy for you! what a wonderful wonderful wonderful time! i wish i could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did an awesome job of keeping everyone straight! I cant believe its over! :( haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story... I guess the weekender is a must-do project to tackle before attending any quilt events :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Debbie, it's so great to see you all together - you can guess that we are many who would love to join you but live too far away! How fun to see familiar faces from their blogs and every one seems to have fantastic 'weekender'!
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this! It is so cool to put faces to names.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did an excellent job getting all the photos! Everyone is smiling all the time, the best kind to time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow it's crazy to be able to put faces to the bloggers! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. You met so many bloggers on my reading list, and from my bees. I am definitely going to go next year I have decided!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like such a fun time and so wonderful for you to have met the other lovely ladies IRL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I am stunned by how many lovely bloggers you met.
    And what a beautiful daughter you have!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos and good to put names to faces!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope to make it to SS next year!! I LOVE your Weekender!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved meeting you and Rachel! Had soooo much fun! xoxo...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an experience. thanks for all the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great recap -- so fun to see all of the photos! This sounds like it was so much fun!
    I'm so jealous!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. And how many people there were to meet!

    ReplyDelete