Friday, October 28, 2022

Aurifil Artisan Challenge :: Machine Quilting + Hand Quilting | Italiano antico

You've probably already seen my finished quilt, Italiano antico, but I wanted to reshare it briefly since the current Aurifil Artisan Challenge is using machine-quilting and hand-quilting in the same project. I can't for sure say this was my first time doing that, but I don't do it often. It's kind of a trend lately, isn't it? I definitely enjoyed giving it a try.

For the machine-quilted grid, I chose three different red Aurifil28wt threads. These were heavier threads than the 50wt I usually machine-quilt with, but I'm definitely growing fond of them.


I intentionally left the centers of the Xs unquilted, and later went back in for some big-stitch hand-quilting with Aurifil 12wt. Perfect it's not, but I love the look, and it was a pleasure to stitch.


Any of you like to combine machine- and hand-quilting? I'll be on the look-out for opportunities to do it again. 

5 comments:

  1. I love the look of big stitch quilting and I love hand work, but I do find myself resisting doing a lot of either on a project because I'm worried I would enjoy it so much I'd end up with all long term projects and never finishing anything (and I do like getting things done; ahh, the conundrum!). That said, a combination of machine quilting and big hand stitch like this project might be the perfect compromise. I like your choice to add the hand quilting detail down the centers of the Xs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you combined the machine quilting and hand quilting in this quilt. I have never thought of that - yet :)! You did that beautifully - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous, Debbie! The beautiful color combo is exceeded only by your quilting. Of course a combination of machine quilting and hand quilting is "the best," and I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more of it in modern quiltmaking. I love the intentionality of machine quilting with wide spacing, knowing that size 8 or 12 perle cotton will beautifully fill the gaps. You've done this to perfection, and it's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Italiano is gorgeous and the hand quilting is attractive too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a stunning quilt with really lovely quilty texture. I don't generally use a lot of red in my quilts, but seeing yours makes me want to go and make one too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete