Monday, October 31, 2022

Quiltober :: XI - XII - XIII

It's hard to believe that today is the final day in Quiltober, hosted by Nicholas Ball @quiltsfromtheattic! I've thoroughly enjoyed exploring the Quiltober22 prompts with some improv, and the fabric-play that ensued was so relaxing and fun. Here are my final three blocks.

Day XI - Witch :: I struggled with this one! Depicting witches isn't my  norm, so I was thankful when I thought of focusing on her broom. Then I knew exactly what I wanted to do. [10.5" x 12.5"]


Day XII - Shadow :: This was another prompt that stumped me for a while. Can't say this one was easy, even once I'd settled on two trees. The larger one was totally figuring-it-out-as-I-went improv. For the second, I used my hera marker first to reproduce the lines on another piece of background fabric. Then after deciding how it needed to be pieced together, I sliced along the lines with my rotarty cutter, and it was quick work from there. [11" x 15"]


Day XIII - Rune :: Ahhh, Rune. I'm sorry, but I wasn't even sure I knew what the word meant! According to dictionary.com: "any of the characters of certain ancient alphabets" or "something written or inscribed in such characters." OK. That I could work with. Somehow in my search, I happened upon a rune translator on pbs.org. (!!) Rather than type in my name, I entered 'Quiltober' and this is what came up!

So I set in to improv those 'letters.' I have to tell on my hubby though.... I'd left the set of letters on my cutting table one night, all ready for me to piece together the next day. I saw him glancing at the letters, and he finally turned to me and said, "I know it's supposed to say something but what is it?" haha. I wouldn't have known myself a few days before.


Below is the finished block. I may add a frame to it later, but I decided to wait until I start puzzling the blocks together. [7" x 34"]


So my 13 Quiltober blocks are done and I confess I love each one way more than I expected to at the outset. They'll hang out on my design wall for a week or so while I head to Quilt Market, but I fully plan on continuing work on this project and hopefully have a finished quilt yet this fall. I'm curious, do you have a favorite block, and if so, why is it your favorite? 

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, it's a tough call; I'm drawn to the blocks that have a lot of the different prints in them. I really like the rune block but I think my favorite might bethe upper right hand corner block where the triangles look like teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun, I can't wait to see how you bring it all together! An October Sampler.
    Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fav is the orange one bottom left - looks like birch trees to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's definitely one of my favorites too!

      Delete
  4. Can't choose one-- it's the ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am I glad I do not have to puzzle them together ;) PS: Really love your rune idea! xo

    ReplyDelete