Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Hudson Pouches

I've been working behind the scenes on a little gifty for my Bee Sewcial beemates when we gather in Houston NEXT WEEK for our special exhibit at the International Quilt Festival. The project was inspired by some special fabric designed by our beemate, Kari Vojtechovsky. Pretty cool, right?


Kari also designed our new-ish Bee Sewcial logo. Making the Bee Sewcial fabric designs available on Spoonflower made it easy for each of us to order exactly what we wanted. In the photo above are the fabrics I ordered, (top to bottom) a small dot in Cotton Poplin, a small black and white text logo in Petal Signature Cotton, and a Linen Cotton Canvas with a larger multi-colored text.


The project I chose to make is the Hudson Pouch from sotak handmade. I made the small version (7" x 3.5") with a contrasting bottom made of Essex Linen. The canvas was the feature fabric, the small dot the lining, and the handles were all made from the small text fabric. 

Luckily I had a variety of colors of zippers on hand that coordinated with the colors in the fabric, so that worked great.

Mass-production isn't something I do often - usually only when I'm making Christmas giftbags! But it worked! 

First I made a test pouch, and when that sewed up fine, I moved on to make 11 more.

So it feels good to have those ready to pack next week. If you aren't already, follow Bee Sewcial to see the quilts that will be in the special exhibit. Hopefully I'll be able to post a bit on Instagram while at the show.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, so hard to believe we are near the end of October already. Have a great time at Quilt Festival and I'm sure your Bee mates are going to appreciate receiving one of these custom Hudson pouches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the way to go :)! Great work - they are adorable. Love the fabric you used - and all the lovely coloured zippers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun thoughtful gift for your Bee mates. The colored zippers make them individual, and I love the Bee Sewcial text fabric. Your group really has fun, which is neat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so-o cute! It's wonderful that Kari has the skills to design fabric for you-all, and that she came up with several options for you. Love that! And what you did with the fabrics is perfect. Good for you to assembly-line these. I have no doubt each of your bee mates will love theirs. Have a glorious time in Houston!

    ReplyDelete