Monday, March 11, 2024

The Cozy | Cutting

It took me exactly four weeks to do the stitching on my Cozy quilt. Let's just say, I enjoyed it immensely, and I'm kind of sad that it's done. Unfortunately, I had a terrible time photographing the stitched quilt. Inside or outside, photos make it look like a crumbled mess. Due to the jersey knit, it really does have much more drape than a regular quilt, but it's so beguiling in person, I hope I can capture it better once it's complete.


That said, it was pretty exciting to move on to the cutting step. I hadn't really planned on saving all the cutting to the end, but I'm glad that I did. It took me just three or four sittings to complete that step. I should say, I cut out all the complete shapes. There were several partial shapes along the edges, that I left to trim as I was preparing for binding.

Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors, Medium 6-Inch Micro Serrated Blades, were suggested for the cutting step, and I'm glad I nabbed a pair. Being serrated, they seemed to grab the knit just the right amount to do the trimming.

It felt like things just got better and better as I trimmed the shapes. I had been a little worried that my Cozy would be boring, compared to all the brightly colored versions I was seeing from other Cozy quilt-makers.


But once the trimming was all done, I was more than happy with what I saw! I was able to get a decent photo of the trimmed quilt, even though the front porch was barely big enough. I think laying flat gives a better view than having the quilt hanging. Whatever, it's on to the hemming now!!


7 comments:

  1. I love how yours is coming together; the colors all blend and work together very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cozy is beautiful. It looks like such a relaxing project. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It HAS been a relaxing project, and I've enjoyed it immensely.

      Delete
  3. Your dots fabric looks so great! And I love the brown stripe. And the soft fabrics gives calm. Your choice was perfect! This project is so surprising, positively :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! So fun to see all those prints show up in between the background fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm glad I waited to cut until the stitching was done!

      Delete
  5. I've enjoyed seeing the cozy quilts on social media. Your choice of colors is so mellow and soothing. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete