Thursday, July 11, 2013

Arbitrary Blocks

There've been some miscellaneous blocks stitched up over the last couple of weeks, and I'm going to start with one that I'm sharing only to keep it real. In no way do I fault the pattern for this Sunlight Star, June's block in the Lucky Star BOM. But the teensy-weensy bits in this 6 1/2" block just plain did me in. Let's just leave it at that.

On the other hand, the slab blocks made to benefit "Just One Slab Quilts Recover Southern Alberta" went together flawlessly. Actually, I made two (the pink and aqua), and my local quilting buddy, Sharon/SharonBinWA, made a couple also (the navy and orange).

Lastly was a block for the SMQG Clothworks Organic Solids Modern Block Challenge. We were each given a stack of delightful solids, courtesy of Clothworks.
I opted for some crazy piecing, inspired by Quilting Modern. The technique in the book worked like a charm for me, and before I knew it, I had quite a modern little blob.
And here's what I ended up with! The block measures 8 1/2".
At our guild meeting last night, we turned our blocks in by placing them together on a large flannel board. Soooo inspiring! We kind of over-filled the board, and I only have a phone photo to show, but I still think it's worth sharing! (See my little block in the botton-right corner.)
So very inspiring! These blocks will be made into a charity quilt (or two), so I'll be sure and share when it/they are done!

Linking up with Really Random Thursday.

26 comments:

  1. Those modern blocks are look sew nice together on the board. They will make a lovely quilt or two. I love what you did with your blob! Ha, ha! The slab blocks made by you and your friend, Sharon, are great, too!

    Lorna:)
    http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Guild block, what a great challenge!

    They will be wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic assortment of modern blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The variety of your guild blocks is great! I have avoided making the June block yet for exactly that (small small) reason. Glad to know it wasn't just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the crazy itty bitty block is great, maybe just step away from it a bit so you can enjoy it once you've recovered. Your challenge block turned out really fun and I'm glad you shared the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! There is a lot of eye candy in that group of blocks. Great job you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your sunlight star block looks fab, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The solids all look amazing together. Yes, so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your little block in the bottom right hand corner. :)
    Hmm.. so June is a challenge eh? I'm still stumped by April as I can't figure out which fabrics to use. Your Sunlight Star looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how challenging working with tiny pieces can be. Kudos to you for finishing the block!

    I must say that I love what you did with the solids! I'm inspired by how different all the blocks were. What a fantastic quilt or quilts they will become!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those solid blocks are so cool! I love the colors!
    I just don't see why that first block did you in...(snicker, snicker)

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of them are lovely, but I especially LOVE your triangle block, like really really really LOVE it! Your 6" paper pieced one looks great even if it did "do you in!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those lucky stars blocks can be so tricky! Yours looks lovely - but I've had a few that have driven me to drink (Diet Coke...). I think it's because we're doing the little versions...

    Your slabs rock! Our guild made a bunch since they work up so quickly.

    And I love your modern crazy triangle block. Way to improv, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Debbie! That solids block is brilliant! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That quilt is amazing! It is like an explosion of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From a distance the star block doesn't look too bad at all to me. But I have made blocks like that too that just kick you in the butt. Will you give it another go?

    The slab blocks are very nice as well, bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your star looks great, although it may not look as you envisaged. In a few weeks you'll be fine about it :oD

    The charity quilt(s) will be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, those pieces must have been über tiny on the star. Your modern blob is great and all the blocks together are so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The modern blocks are breathtaking. I love the technique you used for your block - great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love those slab blocks! Now THOSE are more difficult to resist. One of these days, very soon, I'm going to try making one. They look addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so inspiring to me. I love how the blocks you all made look so wonderful together. Whatever charity reaps the benefits will be richly rewarded. I love your work. You cover it all beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great assortment of modern blocks. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete