Thursday, July 18, 2013

City Sampler Quilt Along :: Blocks 22, 23, & 24 + Creating a Block Grid

This week's blocks were a welcome diversion after an evening spent with my seam ripper. They went together without a hitch!



You may remember that after seeing this chart by Teri Emerson/craktpot, I really wanted to make a grid with my own blocks!
Gridlock Legend
(Note one correction: the one in the 1st row marked 1D should be 89.) 

So I did!

None of the photo editing software I had would let me save the grid as a graphic and then add to it each week. So hubby suggested an Excel spreadsheet, and it seems to work fine for what I wanted!

Some of you were interested in replicating my grid, and I'm happy to share the steps to make it. Please keep in mind that we may be using different operating systems and software versions, which would obviously affect your outcome. I happen to have Microsoft Office 2007 and my computer is running Windows 7. But hopefully by my sharing what I did, you'll be able to create a grid too, even with some adjustments. 

Click here for a pdf with instructions for how I created mine. And if you do make one, I'd love to see it!

11 comments:

  1. You are very generous to share your expertise in this way. I am not sure whether I would be able to need it, but I think I might give it a try at some stage. Your blocks are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I don't ave any quilt soft wear, so your idea may prove very useful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't we all just Love Teri --- she's awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I didn't know about the snipping tool and was using Publisher to convert my Word based quilt blocks to one unit and then jpeg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks look so great and so close to the originals! So nice of you to share how you created your grid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try it when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these blocks and such a great book. Will have to look into this one

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love your grid, Debbie. Thanks for sharing instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing. This is EXACTLY what I want to do! My project for Christmas... get my other WIP's finished (and husband off my back...) then plunge into this beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving your grid so far! And as an ex-Excel developer, can I just say, that's a use for it I've never seen before lol

    ReplyDelete