Friday, July 5, 2013

Patchwork, Please! :: Diamond Patchwork Placemat

Where paper-piecing sometimes feels like the bane of my sewing-existence, I really do enjoy fussy-cutting. And that's what I did, along with choosing to piece the diamond patchwork for this week's project. And just a little note about that fussiness - for me, a 2 1/2" square ruler works great to line things up, and I find it's small enough, I can rotary cut around it without moving a thing on my board.
Fabric-wise, I chose Melody Miller's Ruby Star Spring for the fussy-cuts, and Essex Yarn-Died Linen in Flax for the background and main piece of the mat. The back and binding is of Parson Gray's Curious Nature.

Besides the piecing, where was another change-up . . . I backed my mat front with fusible fleece before I did my quilting.
And for quilting, I followed Ayumi's suggestion to quilt around the focus squares using a coordinating thread. Insert-able trim is not my strong suit, so I chose to accent that area with very dense quilting. I found some delicious variegated pale green (I think it's #3320) from my Tula Pink Aurifil Thread (Thank you, Aurifil!), measured off 3/4" from the vertical seamline, marked with my hera, and proceeded to quilt 9 times in that space. So those lines are verrrry close together. I actually thought the stitching would show up more, but with variegated, you never know what's going to show up where, and I'm plenty happy with it just the same.
I did the binding, again, just like the pattern instructions, and it worked like a charm. I did use a bit of gluestick as I folded my edge over to the front, pressed it, and proceeded to sew that bound edge as straight and neat as could be.

This project was super fun, went together without a hitch, and I certainly plan on using this pattern again!

Project adapted from Patchwork, Please!: Colorful Zakka Projects to Stitch and Give as part of the Zakka 2.0 :: Patchwork, Please sew along. Linking up with finish it up Friday.

23 comments:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful! A wonderful choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so great, Debbie! I love how you change up the patterns to suit your style. Your binding looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that fine stitching in the center!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome Debbie. I absolutely love it. The fussy cut diamonds is just the perfect touch for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! And I think the quilting is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your diamonds placemat turned out so pretty !! I love your fabrics and colors.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. its lovely,I am having hard time with the PP, its so small .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was waiting for these place mats to pop up. They are one of my favorites from the book. I LOVE that you quilted instead of adding the trim. Great idea and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debbie! This is adorable! I love the small icons you have cut and all the design is wonderful!!! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. The stitching adds really nice texture, so nice to see how people make this unique! I hope to finish off mine tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea to quilt with thread in place of a trim. It looks beautiful! Your fussy cuts are so sweet and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your placemats! Great fussy cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous Debbie. The Linen is beautiful. It compliments your fussy cut fabrics perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really love how you have fussy cut these fabrics to use with the linen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice indeed! I like your quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So lovely! I want to go back and make these when I have time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Visiting from Finish it up Friday - especially love the quilting details!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it and the sense quilting very much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is one of my favorites in your line up of these projects. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete