Friday, July 19, 2013

Jewel Lines

There's been a little project behind the scenes that I can finally share. And that would be a table runner I made as a shower gift. It's a bit complicated when we live in different states, but daughter dear and godchild Jessica figured out a way to throw a shower for my soon-to-be-daughter-in-law. They called it "Bridal Shower-in-a-Box."  Basically, they asked local friends and family to fill a gift box with something for the bride-to-be, then Jessica and Rachel packed them all together with fresh-baked cookies and party decorations, and sent them off.

The runner I made was "get in line" by Amy Walsh of Blue Underground Studios, which was published in the June 2012 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting. In the magazine, the runner was made of Dupiani silk, which was lovely, but I chose to make mine more day-to-day-friendly by using Kona cottons.

It was a really interesting process cutting strips . . .
and playing with placement on the design wall.
For quilting, I tried to add some more variety by using 3 different Aurifil 28wt Mako Cotton Threads. The 28wt is heavier than the 50 weight I use for piecing, and emphasizes the stitches well. I was pleased to find 3 really nicely coordinating colors in my thread bin - Winter Mauve #5003, Sapphire #2730, and Peapod #1231. I stitched randomly spaced straight lines in the stripes across the runner, 2 or 3 lines per stripe.
The finished runner measured a generous 20x44", and I've named my version "Jewel Lines," taken from the many jewel-toned Kona's and the obviously repetitive lines, both in fabric and quilting.
So the bridal-shower-in-a-box has arrived to bless my future daughter-in-law, and in just about every way, I couldn't be more pleased.

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday!

24 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful runner. I love those colours, nice and cool for these hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The runner is wonderful and I love the Bridal Shower in a Box idea, such a thoughtful and clever idea. Congrats and hope the rest of the wedding plans are smooth sailing from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Great quilting and what a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I really like this one. Everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a fun idea for a baby shower and such a great table runner. I love the quilting; I just got some 28wt aurifil but I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of a bridal shower in a box and this table runner is a stunner!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! Love the colors and mix of quilting threads. And what a fun idea for her shower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's lovely. I'd love to have that on my table.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cool, Deb! Love the idea of the bridal shower in a box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its so lovely and I liked reading about your design process. Great job, Debbie!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The deep jewel tones are gorgeous Debbie. Love the simplicity of the design, but it sure makes a statement

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you do with solids Debbie! I really need to add to my solid stash! This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I'll bet that Lindsey was thrilled---Kendall, too!
    What a great idea.
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the quilting using the different fabrics. Very modern, a great finish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shower in a box! What a great idea! And a lovely runner to put inside. I love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very special gift and beautiful colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So vibrant! I am sure she will love it and what a cool idea to all send items to her!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous, and love the idea of a shower in a box!

    ReplyDelete