Thursday, July 4, 2013

2013 Finish-A-Long: Q2 Finishes

Back in April when I made my Q2 FAL list, I basically was standing there holding a bunch of blocks I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with.

First up were the Hugs & Kisses blocks from the Mid-Century Modern bee. I had 13, and was thinking of making a couple more, and then somehow pull them into a quilt. 

Thanks to the thoughtful suggestions of others, I moved away from my standard 'row' quilt, turned all 13 blocks on point, and made something quite unexpected, which I named Common Affection.


Next up were the first five blocks from don't call me betsy's Lucky Star BOM.

Trying to be a little improv-y, I came up with Auspicious Sky, which was a stretch in more ways than one. My favorite part was using the mix of shot cotton (the main background fabric) accented with bits of Essex Yarn Dyed Denim and Kona Nightfall. With all of them and the Architextures in the stars, I was working with some of my very favorite fabrics.

And finally, there were those x and + blocks, which I'd been swapping and collecting for ages!
And whew! Just in the nick of time, I finished up Crossex!

So that's that! And wouldn't you know, I have whole new stacks of blocks to add to my Q3 list!

11 comments:

  1. love the hugs and kisses in grey /neutrals..... love it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love your Common Affection quilt. Happy to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous.. it seems you finish a quilt every week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finishes. Love the beach shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love each of these quilts, they are beautiful and original and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the layout you chose for the top quilt. They look like octagonal orbs and windows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and Amazing quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! They are beautiful!
    How many blocks have you used in your x & + quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those hug and kisses blocks are so intriguing set like that! The giant explus is so great and the binding is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all great finishes but oh wow - that bee quilt turned out so amazing! What an unexpected result from the on point setting! I loved seeing these blocks pop up on the blogs and to see the quilt all finished is really cool.

    ReplyDelete