Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Crossex

It all started on January 2, 2012, when I made my first x and + block.
Japanese x and + block
I won't lie. I thought it was the coolest little block I'd ever made. I had just discovered badskirt's legendary tutorial and joined the Japanese x and + block swap. I went ahead and swapped one more round a few months later, and eventually had amassed 28 blocks, still hoping to go another round or two. But by February of this year when I saw the x and + along pop up, I decided to dig into my scrap basket and just start making more blocks myself. All along, I was making and collecting the 8" blocks (7 1/2" finished), so I knew I would need plenty - finally settling on 80 as my goal.

In early April, I had 40 blocks done, and they went right to the top of my Quarter 2 Finish-A-Long list. And finally, at long last, I am thrilled to say that IT IS DONE.

We took her to the beach today for the requisite photo op . . .
And it was windy!!
We finally managed a full shot of the front. Doesn't it look like the clothespins are all blowing in the wind?
A pieced backing seemed the perfect choice for this scrappy wonder, and what else but a giant x and + block? Mine measured 45" and I surrounded it with a variety of solids (the largest pieces - on top and bottom - are fat quarters).
For quilting, I used the much-acclaimed Aurifil 40 wt #2600 (light gray), and it was a perfect choice with the wild array of colors. I chose a block in the upper left of the quilt (DS blue and greet polka dot) and began all my quilting from there, stitching out first diagonally along each leg of the 'x', then horizontally and vertically along each edge of the '+'. From there I echo-stitched at 3/4" intervals in each octant (vs. quadrant. I looked it up!) Then I went back and matchstick quilted through that first '+', though with the busy prints, you really can't see that well.
You've figured it out by now, I know, but I was really in a quandary when it came to the binding. After much debate, I did what I wanted to do all along, and bravely used Michael Miller's black and white "clown stripe" ala red pepper quilts. In a word: perfect.
I washed this finish right away, in an over-eager effort to see how it would crinkle up, and it did not disappoint. In fact, if you look at the photo below, you can see that denser strip of quilting down the 'middle'.
I have called this quilt my "x and +" quilt for so long, but it really needs a proper name now, and I've settled on "Crossex", a sort of conglomerate of the original block name. Bringing this long-term wip to a finish provides huge satisfaction. It's been a significant journey, and I have so many of you to thank, considering nearly one-third of the blocks were swapped. So thank you! It's been great fun.

This quilt finished at 60x75", and was on my Q2 FAL list. I'm linking up with the other Q2 finishes at shecanquiltAll photo credit goes to hubby. 


Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

46 comments:

  1. Yay, it looks great, Debbie! I can't wait to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it wasn't 1130pm for you, I'd be texting you - this quilt is STUNNING!! I love that there are some shots of you with it, you look fabulous as always! :)
    Seriously, great job, you can start mine next, okay?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love it! A beautiful quilt and the giant X on the back is perfect! Congratulations to your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it is just fabulous and the back is perfect with the jumbo-est xplus ever made I suspect. Always enjoy your photo shoot too, congrats

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! I love it and I want one. 80 blocks wears me out thinking about it. maybe I will jump on the bandwagon soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks absolutely amazing!! I love that binding and especially the big block on the back (can you give the measurements for that?) I wouldn't have thought that 45" was snugg-able, but it looks like it is - good to know!!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is a winner indeed!!! Wonderful strong colour choices bordered by that fabulous striped binding! Congratulations on a great finish- you look SO pleased with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful finish Debbie! I love everything about this quilt and the photos of you with it are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mahvelous dahling, simply mahvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!! Fabulous quilt. It's on my To Do SOON! list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a great block isn't it. Did a few for a bee this year and was so jealous when I finished it and sent it away. Great for using up scraps too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is stunning Deb! I love the idea of the large x plus on the back. I might have to steal this idea for mine if that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful! Love your binding and quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it - what a beautiful quilt! And all these great pics, great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beauitful - and I love the photos with both of you, the quilt and the creator ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is fantastic! So much scrappy goodness. I love that the back is a giant block. And the binding! I never think B&W will work on so many different quilts, but it always does.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That is wonderful. What an accomplishment. The photos look gorgeous. Hope you have someplace to put that gorgeous quilt that you will see it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos, Debbie. I'm in love with that super cool giant block on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful, I just love it all the colors and the binding...great choice! You must be so happy and satisfied to have it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It really is a scrappy wonder!
    So beautiful, what an exciting finish!
    LOVE the binding, too - perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Debbie this is so wonderful - couldn't love it anymore! And your husband did a fantastic job on the photos!


    I'd love to know your measurements for the giant x+o on the back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love EVERYTHING you do. I am so impressed with this quilt! I don't know how you get so much done. I am enjoying your City Blocks piecing too. Thank you for your efforts. I'm enjoying them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This quilt turned out so well, your quilting is excellent. The photos are wonderful, it looks like a great day at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is so gorgeous! I LOVE how you did the big X block in the back, surrounded by all those solids! It contrasts perfectly with the front. The black and white striped binding is the perfect frame!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just made my first 2 X/+ blocks this week. Now inspired by badskirt's tutorial, the fun of this block and your gorgeous quilt, I am adding this to my list. Your quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks all! The giant x and + block on the back measures 45".

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh it's gorgeous! And I love the back too! This one is also on my to do list

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's perfect Debbie and you look so pleased! A stellar finish.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely gorgeous Debbie. And even better getting such a long term wip finished. I think the pink fabric in your very first block that forms the centre came from me! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay! It's fantastic, Debbie! A spectacular collection of fabrics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. looks AWESOME! I just finished an x and plus quilt too but with a planned fabric scheme, yours look way cool

    ReplyDelete
  32. Absolutely perfection! I'm not sure I'm patient enough to see a project through over that time span but what a finish you have! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful as always! I just love this quilt so much and I have never been a big fan of that block...this quilt changed my mind about that! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a wonderful quilt of scrappy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful! This is one of my favorite blocks too, I just got 2 of these quilts back from my longarmer, they are scrappy versions. I love how they turned out. I still have to get the binding done and they will be finished! Plus, I sold one! Whoop Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  36. The quilt is lovely Deb. A great finish. The photos of you are really good too. You look so proud. I haven't made this block before but have bookmarked the tute ready for "one day".

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's just perfect Deb!!! I found two of my blocks that you got ;D It's so fun and makes me want to work on mine again!!! I hope your having a wonderful summer.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! This is just wonderful! I love, love, love all those colourful blocks together, and that big one on the back is just brilliant. The quilting works really well with the design and of course that stripy binding is just perfect (I would say that, now, wouldn't I...?) You have every reason to be proud of this fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful pictures of a wonderful quilt. The color in it is so-o great! Those outdoor photos show it off to its best advantage with the natural light... and the darling pictures of you with it. Hubby did a great photography job, and YOU made a great quiltmaking effort. It's really special.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very cool, Deb! LOVE the back!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I don't even know where to begin....everything about this is extra special! The quilting, the colors, the perfect backing, the very perfect binding, the pattern, and the great photo op make this a wonderful and inspiring post! I've made a few of these blocks for swaps and have some in my Flickr favorites....I guess I need to start making one for myself!! What a great finish, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  42. ooh, i really love the back! it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  43. love it - an amazing job. I love that black striped border and the backing is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love love love this! I am tempted to try this - but feel like all the piecing will drive me mad (since last couple of quilts have been piecing heavy). Oh but your quilt is inspiring me to just dive in!

    ReplyDelete
  45. looks amazing!! I love the back too!!

    ReplyDelete