Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Patchwork, Please! :: Books-for-Baby Quilt

Or in my case, it would be Book-for-Baby-Doll quilt. 
Not really knowing where I was headed, I made one block at 50% of the pattern in the book. It measured 3 1/2" x 4" unfinished, and it made me happy to use Rashida Coleman-Hale's I Heart Cute Bots again.
Not really being in the mood for much paper-piecing though, I decided to surround my little bot block with plenty of negative space, including a wide robot stripe, and make a mini quilt. For quilting, I straight-lined, using Aurifil Mako 28, pink (#2423) for the horizontal lines, and orange (#2214) for the vertical lines.
 I especially like the sections where they overlap!
The quilt background, by the way, is Essex in denim blue, the backing one of my very favs, Remix by Ann Kelle for Kaufman in hot pink, and the block border and binding the most delightful medium orange Kiss Dot by Michael Miller. I did the binding by machine again, using the book's instructions found on pages 38-39. Again, it worked perfectly (and quickly!) for this small (12" x 16") project.
It's nothing like what Ayumi had in mind, I know, but I enjoyed making it, and I know grandgirl will be happy to have another "blankie" for her baby dolls.

Linking up with Finish it Up Friday.

15 comments:

  1. I love your interpretation of this Zakka project! Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! I am trying this week's pattern, but in full size. I am new to piecing, so I'm having the devil of a time getting everything to measure up properly. I think the idea to do a interpretation was a great one....one I may borrow! LOL :)

    Great job! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable Deb! Your fabric choices are spot on...hahaha :o) And, the binding is wonderfully done...I'm looking at those perfect mitered corners...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a cute mini and every little girl's baby doll needs a quilt too, very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, and I've just bound my Retro flowers in that MM dot :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! I love how you made it your own :) I love the machine binding too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your binding looks surprisingly nice! I say that in a kind way, as I have always been an advocate of hand-sewing down binding - a quiltmaking step I always enjoy. It's good to see such pretty machine-sewn binding. This is an adorable finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you used two colours for quilting on the dark background fabric. The doll quilt is brilliant! I think a boy would love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Love it and adore the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so lovely - I especially love the quilting! Your granddaughter is lucky to have such a sweet blanket for her dolls!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can never have too many doll blankies!
    Very cute, Debbie! I'm sure grandgirl will approve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see those bold colours - nice job on the quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so clever!! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete