Sunday, September 15, 2013

Patchwork, Please! :: Vintage Pencil Case

I clearly wasn't thinking straight when I dove into this week's Patchwork, Please project. Did I even glance at the book to see the size of the finished pouch? Nooooo I did not. If I would have, I would have realized that those little pencil point blocks were seriously itty bitty. Like 15/16" x 1 3/4" unfinished. It's a miracle they look as good as they do. Probably my favorite part of them is the lead, done in Jason Yenter's Dit-Dot, a newish fabric I just really like; in fact well enough to use in a much bigger way in another project I'm working on.
Once those pencil points were done, though, the pouch was smooth sailing. The main fabric is Essex Linen in Leather. I chose the overall palette based on the linen of that second pencil down. The lining matches one of the pencils, a Denyse Schmit floral that I just used up and unfortunately can't identify for you.
I adored the double-pull zipper Ayumi used for her pouch in the book, but not finding anything remotely like that, I used a polka-dot zip, which I purchased from GinaPurseFrame on etsy. (Random fact: the zipper teeth are on the opposite side of the tape as the pull. Which basically makes them invisible when zipped.) And though the hand-stitching Ayumi did on her pouch was a detail I totally loved, I opted instead to accent my pouch with matchstick quilting using an Aurifil 50wt #2314 (medium beige). Good news: It coordinates beautifully with the "Leather" Essex. Bad news: It coordinates so well, you can hardly see my efforts. But I know it's there! ha.


Click the links to find out more about the sew along, Ayumi, and how to order the book. 

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

36 comments:

  1. This is just such a cute pencil case, I especially like the fabrics and colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great!!!! Those pencils are so cute.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I got that DS print for $3 at Joann's a month or so ago! I love this pouch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sew glad you did not glance at the book before starting this project... I love it! Those pencils are adorable. I have never seen a zipper like that before either. Thanks for sharing, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!!! That is so cool and so amazingly little!!! I don't know if I would be brave enough to tackle it. Love it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have said, "Oh WOW!" when I saw those pencil tips. So very patient and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Debbie, this is adorable and those pieces are really tiny! Funny zipper. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Good job on that tiny piecing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly love everything about this pouch! That zip is so darling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Debbie! Sometimes it's better not to know the gory details of things like this beforehand - you may not have done it, and it turned out super cute in the end! Love the dotty zipper too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely version of the pencil case. I have never seen patterned zips until this project, must search them out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its so lovely and great!!!
    The colours are wonderful- I love it!!!!
    The kindest regards from Angela

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! This is a beauty Debbie! I love the dotty zipper and the linen! And those points- perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! Essex linen is my favorite :) Those pencil tips just about killed me, but yours are spot-on. Nicely done! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great, and love the dotty zip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the fabrics you have used ....but my favourite part is the polka dot zipper !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow... a polka dot zipper. How fun :) Great pencil holder... and looks perfecly done. I'm not sure I would have the courage to do it. Have a feeling mine would be really bumpy. But I'll telll you something about small pencil cases. I always keep one in my bag and it's tiny. Just holds 3-4 pencils and nothing else. It's my favourite and though I thought I could replace it over the years, somehow it has always sneaked back into my bag.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha you are so cute:) And a polka dot zipper?? I need to get that! Your pouch turns great!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done! When I first saw the size of the pencils I said this has to wait for an other day. It looks lovely and the zipper is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh, very nice pencils! And I love the linen and cute zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this Debbie. Such perfect little pencils!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is just super cute! Beautiful job! I love the zipper, too... must check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so cute! Love the colors and the zipper is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautifully done, Deb! I LOVE your colour palette - Essex in Leather really compliments your cute pencils. What a cool zipper! I love polka dots, so I'm crushing on that zip. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That zipper is awesome, love it and the way your pouch turned out. And I can totally see the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a cute pouch - the pencils look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is just the cutest thing! I've never seen a polka dot zipper before...now I know what will make my life complete!! I need one!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The dotty zip, tiny piecing and your fabric choices all make for a super cool pouch.

    ReplyDelete
  29. super cute and that zipper is the perfect touch

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely incredible, Debbie! That zipper...swoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely incredible, Debbie! That zipper...swoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your pencil case, Debbie! Beautiful combination of fabrics and perfect piecing as usual!!

    ReplyDelete