Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fissures

Fissures was first started in an Improv Slice and Insert class I took with Katie Pedersen and Jacquie Gering several months ago, and is loosely inspired by "Shattered" in their book, Quilting Modern.
It began with these 9 blocks, 7 of which I had made in class. Fabric-wise, I used a background of Kaufman's Carolina Chambray in Natural, slicing and inserting with the additions of Anna Maria Horner's Field Study multi-colored butterflies and Kona Olive. Eventually the small blocks (7" finished) were grouped together and 'bordered' with more of the Olive.
For quilting the center blocks, I used Aurifil 50wt #2000 (Beige) and did small, squarish spirals in each little section. This was alot of fun, and I'm super pleased with the interest it adds to what I considered the focal point of the quilt.
In quilting the border, I switched to Aurifil 50wt #2910 (Foliage Green), and began by following all of the solid green inserts out to the edge. From there I echo-stitched, using those lines and any seam lines as guides, with lines about 1/2" apart.
Quilting as I did gave quite a variety of angles and actually made the solid green quite busy. I had a few issues with puckers with all the turning I was doing, and I was temped to wash this one up to hide some of that. But for the sake of full disclosure and sharing process, I opted to just put it out there as is.
For the back, I pieced the last of my Field Study {bummer} with large blocks of In the Beginning's Dit Dot. Yes.
This quilt is one of those that was pretty much satisfying from beginning to end. And I'm gonna come right out and say that one of the things I love about it, is that when I was back in the class and showed Jacquie the fabrics I was planning on using for my slice and insert blocks, she commented something like, "nice fabrics but I've never done this technique with prints."
But by the end of class, she was encouraging me along with a smile and a hearty, "It works!"

37 comments:

  1. I love it! I love the quilting and the colours and the back too. I really like how you chose the lines in the centre to create the quilting pattern, that is a wonderful idea. I also don't think that the puckers are noticeable in any real way, the quilt is full of texture and movement, they are just part of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Love it Love it!! Very dynamic with the slice and insert as an off-center focal point. You did good Debbie! I really like the quilting in the negative space, too. I totally agree with Leanne about the quilting/puckers...just part of the texture of the quilt. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the strips from the focal that become one with the quilting on the solid, nice touch! Really fabulous work, I saw your post on Instagram and knew I wanted to see more, worth the click ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way it turned out....so beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is just stunning, Deb! i love everything about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It more than 'works'!!! It's brilliant! I love the feature blocks and what a beautiful green!!! You have a winner here Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous finish Debbie! I love the green and your quilting is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I noticed the quilting lines coming off the green in the blocks right away - I'm glad I wasn't crazy! ;) It looks fabulous! I really, really like the quilting. Like, a lot. I mean, the blocks are nice, but the quilting is just stunning (to me.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fantastic! I love how you used that AMH fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really lovely. I especially like how the quilting continues the green lines from the pieced part into the negative space - that's really clever and it looks great. I can't really see any puckering - yeah, there are a few wrinkles but all quilts look like that after you've stuffed them through your machine a few hundred times! I've definitely seen much much worse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fabulous quilt! Loved watching the whole process and the finished quilt! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you for doing something on your list. Very modern and fun Debbie. You're such a cool gramma : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning! One of my fave quilts in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, this is just stunning!
    I saw it on Pinterest and then had to come read more about it - your quilting is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really beautiful Debbie. All that quilting - WOW! I love how you took it in all of those different directions. Very modern!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing! What a great way to quilt this top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It definitely works! So beautiful Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't care if there was puckering, you can't tell and the "texture" your quilting created on that solid is genius. AND THE BACK....it is so beautiful. This one is a beauty Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW. I'm in awe, Deb! How long did the quilting take you? It makes my shoulders sore just looking at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the quilting! I have a question about the puckers. I am usually a spray baster but this last time I took the quilt to a long-armer and she basted the quilt for me. Long running lines about 3-4" apart. It was totally an experiment on my part and I'm wondering if you have done this or use pins or spray. I still had to pin or I had a lot of give on the fabric. I think I got a bad can of spray (my normal brand) last time because it didn't hold like usual - which prompted the experiment on having the quilt professionally basted.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love how you did the quilting on this :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Debbie! This is fantastic! I love your design, colours, prints and the amazing quilting! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a wonderful quilt, Debbie, and I'm so glad you showed us all the ins and outs of how you came to design the quilting.

    A very successful effort, in all ways! Love it!

    Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning.... in the colors and fabrics and the quilting! I am amazed at your quilting skills!! Love it!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Debbie, this quilt is fantastic! The blocks, the quilting, the colors! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That turned out amazing. I love the quilting on it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The quilting on this is INSANE... absolute, insane perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing!!!! Love everything about your quilt especially the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks wonderful Debbie! Way out of my box but I can sure appreicate the finished quilt!I love the colors and fabrics you chose. Any your quilting - amazing!I love the movement it gives the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, wow! Love this one - your quilting choices are inspired! What a great way to showcase all that splicing... And puckers? What puckers? Looks like it has just the right amount of character to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete