Tuesday, September 17, 2013

City Sampler Quilt Along :: Blocks 49, 50, & 51

So it kind of blows my mind that this week marks half-way through the City Sampler book! The best part? I still look forward to these blocks every week and just plain enjoy making them. That's good!

Block 49 was kind of routine - not that I'm complaining!

On the other hand, block 50 was something else! The hsts (1" finished!) weren't really the problem - I used the alternate hst method I shared last week, so those were a breeze. (For the record, I guessed and used 3" squares - a little larger than necessary but better than being too small.) The issue was really that I'm a scant 1/4" kind of gal, and this block really needed a full 1/4". So a little unstitching and restitching took care of that, and I'm really pleased with the finished block.

Block 51 was pretty matter of fact and I really like it - simple flying geese but very nice.

And to mark the half-way point of block construction, I updated my preview grid. I'm pretty pleased to see the color orientation coming through. And I like it!
(To make your own grid, click here.)

Linking up with Sew Sweetness.

13 comments:

  1. Great job on those teeny HSTs! The grid is looking awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great, Debbie! Thanks so much for that tutorial on making the grid. I've pinned it for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #50 is awesome!!! Thanks for the instructions on the grid. I have my book and my fabric, I just need to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These blocks make me smile so much! Love to see how the grid is filling out. And such teeny tiny HST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool! Each on their own, a lot of the blocks are pretty basic, but together is when the WOW factor comes in! Do the blocks get sashed when you assemble it all in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love watching your Modern City come together! I just got my book and some fabrics. I know I am behind, but better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thinking that is going to have to be my next book! Love the blocks you have done so far. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one of my favorite quilts at the Modern Quilt Guild Show! Yours is looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to buy it with the Fun your having with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1" HSTs! Whoa!
    It's coming along nicely, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks look stunning together and yes, working myself up to join in :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you mentioned that #50 is true 1/4" seams, I haven't stitched that one yet, so now I know! That one is my favorite so far or your blocks BTW! I love your mosaic filling up too!

    ReplyDelete